Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API Scripts Copy with Copy Game

Score + 280
Pretty simple, should be able to copy the API scripts when you are copying maps. Global macros would be good too.
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi RMcD, could you explain a little more, particularly what setting do you mean by "Copy Map"? Are you referring to the feature, Duplicate Page Settings?  Or is this about the transmogrify feature?
I meant the copy campaign feature, my bad that that's not clear.

Edited 1440519198
Gold
Forum Champion
No problem RMcD. There are actually 2-3 Suggestions contained in your idea, because there are 2 places to duplicate parts of your game into another game: Copy Game and Transmogrify, and you asked about copying both Scripts and Global Macros. I believe the Suggestion splits into this table: Roll20 Feature Area Suggestions Thread for this idea? SUGGESTION IS: Copy Game (API Scripts) This current thread. 1. Add ability to Copy API Scripts in Copy Game feature. Transmogrify (API Scripts) Also this current thread. 2. Add ability to Copy API Scripts in Transmogrifier.&nbsp; Transmogrify (Macros) This would make a good new, separate thread. 3. Add ability to copy Global Macros in Transmogrifier. Background info and related help links: 1. The Copy Game feature (outside the VTT, in your game details page, this is used for copying a backup of the entire whole campaign/game), Wiki Docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Settings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Settings</a> 2. The Transmogrifier (in the VTT under Settings &gt; Experimental, this is used for copying-moving small parts of your game, into another existing game). Wiki Docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Transmogrifier" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Transmogrifier</a> Note: Copy Game is able copy your global macros into a fresh new game, with the first check-box. Copy from this Game......&nbsp; Players and Player Settings (Including Macros)&nbsp; Pages Decks&nbsp; Chat Log&nbsp; Journal (Characters & Handouts)&nbsp; Jukebox Playlist&nbsp; Game Forums Note 2: Neither Copy Game nor Transmogrifier is presently able to copy API Scripts. &nbsp;Is one of these the central point of the current suggestion thread? Which do you want? Both? It seems to make sense under both areas. Note 3: Transmogrifier is not presently able to copy Global Macros. This can be served by the current suggestion thread, but it could also be served by a Suggestion thread of its own.
Well all of those changes sound like positive improvements but in particular when making this thread I was referring to Copy Game and API Scripts, as the central point, with the addition of Global Macros to the Transmorgifier (though really I feel like there should be macros that aren't stored with players but I understand why they did it that way).
+1 When using the Copy Game feature, there should be an option to copy the API scripts in it. &nbsp;I use it as a backup mechanism when I'm about to delve into things I don't quite understand, in case I blow it up, and the fact that I have to manually copy all my scripts across to the backup makes it about 50% useless. &nbsp;It only does half the job. &nbsp;The scripts represent a large portion of the work that goes into a game, and you should be able to copy them, or at least transmogrify them.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
RMcD said: I meant the copy campaign feature, my bad that that's not clear. I renamed your suggestion for you, so things would be clearer.&nbsp; Happy gaming!

Edited 1470685958
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
+1. Additionally there should be a toggle for copying/not copying the state as well. Some scripts make extensive use of the state to maintain settings across sessions and having to set those up can be a real hassle. Alternatively, sometimes you want to have the script accessible in the game, but you don't want the state to be carried over (or the old state is corrupted which is what is prompting you to make the copy in the first place).
+1
+1. This would greatly help with setup of one-shots. Agree with @Scott C. on state. As is, creating a new campaign for one-shot eats quite a bit of time just for getting the API set up, never mind actual maps and monsters. Being able to do this once and then copy as needed for the next one-shot would be great!
+1
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Seems like a very reasonable feature in terms of implementation, and would be a real quality of life improvement.
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
+1 Our group effectively wants every game to have the same template of APIs and behaviors, but because we use so many scripts, getting them setup and all of the correct defaults set back up takes forever. Being able to copy over APIs and defaults to new games would be a god send.
+1
+1&nbsp; This would be a nice addition; though it only takes me about a half hour to set up the scripts from one game to another, it would be nice to have it done for me using a touch of automation.&nbsp;
+1 and I agree with Scott C about the state. It makes me much less likely to back up my games and that makes me uncomfortable. Takes around an hour to set everything back up.
+1, would save me a lot of time.
+1&nbsp; Yeah takes a horribly long time to setup a game from scratch with all the api scripts I use.&nbsp; Please implement this!&nbsp;&nbsp;
+1, This feature would be really nice. I'd like to set up a template with the API scripts set up so that doesn't eat up a weekend.

Edited 1526999678
Ammo
Pro
I think this was mentioned in passing above, but copying the API scripts is only half of what you need. &nbsp;You also need the "state" variable archived and restored, otherwise all the script settings are lost.

Edited 1527258095
So need this since you can't manually copy the scripts from game to game, something always screws up copying code from the API panel so you have to go back to the RAW from git, but now its a later version and you need to change your macros, etc, etc. I like to setup a template game from the modules with all my shit in it ready to go and then simply clone the game in its entirety, api, music, everything when you get a new party.
+1, I'm starting to get quite the list of API scripts being used in my games, it would be nice to be able to copy them to other campaigns. Using Transmogrify would be nice and so would being able to copy them with the Copy Game feature.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please, please, please !
+1
Via transmorgrifier would be most excellent. How is this not a thing?
I need this...
+1 just realized that copy game DIDN'T do this... so much time lost to try and redo all the scripts...thanks for the comment telling me you can't just copy from the api panel, so now i need to go back to the raw.. annoying.
Wow, I thought this was done in part of the game, but, yeah, API Settings aren't copied over with Copy Game/Transmogrifier.
+1
+1
Jason
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
+1
At least to have it as a checkbox whether you want to copy it or not, just like being able to choose to copy players or chat, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1564620722
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Even if it doesn't copy state (and I wouldn't want it to be the default, certainly), I am all in favor of this idea. On the surface, it just seems like you are copying text files. I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable as to what hurdles need to be overcome to make this happen.
I recently upgraded to Pro for API scripts, and I had no idea that backups (copies) of my campaign don't include the API scripts. Seeing that this thread was started four years ago (!) makes me sad. Can someone on the dev team (or someone who knows) please explain why this hasn't made the cut? It's really more a bug (API scripts fail to copy during Copy Game process) than a feature request. Thanks.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, one thing that they may or not be looking at is that anything dealing with character sheets and the api is restricted to pro, so a lower pool of voters.&nbsp; They tend to only look at things with 200+ votes unless it ties into something they are already working on.&nbsp; Look at the number of votes for this suggestion and you see how that works out.&nbsp; Hopefully they will set a lower voter threshold for things like this eventually.
From another prospective pro's are the ones financing Roll20 and anything that improves Pro would presumably make more people sign up, or keep renewing.
I still need this... badly.
Please?
+1
+10!
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I need this. It is annoying!&nbsp;
Seems like this suggestion and a few others boil down to: When a feature says "copy" it should create a copy. There are a few features that make duplicates/copies of one thing or another, and many of them fail to do what the user anticipates, resulting in extra work, and sometimes frustrating situations where something appears to be broken, but is actually just missing. I think there needs to be an evaluation of various "copy" features throughout the system, and they all need to be corrected to function as expected. Since scripts are set up on a per campaign basis, not copying them when you copy the campaign is a bug.
+1
This (emphasis added). Josh O. said: Seems like this suggestion and a few others boil down to: When a feature says "copy" it should create a copy. There are a few features that make duplicates/copies of one thing or another, and many of them fail to do what the user anticipates, resulting in extra work, and sometimes frustrating situations where something appears to be broken, but is actually just missing. I think there needs to be an evaluation of various "copy" features throughout the system, and they all need to be corrected to function as expected. Since scripts are set up on a per campaign basis, not copying them when you copy the campaign is a bug.
+1
+1
+1 it is absurd that this isn't the defaul behaviour!
+1
This is not even a feature. It's basic functionality. Please implement ASAP.
I have also just hit this: having started setting up a game, and adding all the scripts etc., I thought it would be very useful to copy it to use as a 'blank' game. Unfortunately, since 'copy game' does not, in fact, copy the game, I would still have to set up all the API scripts etc... Just copying the scripts (which should be easy!) would be sufficient even without the state, but really it should be a complete copy and anything else is either a bug or should be displayed in big flashing red letters 'this feature doesn't do what you expect' (although if this robust approach to UI was taken throughout Roll20, the endless flashing would get quite annoying...).