Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Reduce zoom level jump on mouse wheel scroll

Currently, when I use Alt-wheel scroll in Roll20 tabletop, the zoom level jumps by 20%-30%. This is often very unwieldy. I've tried changing the wheel scroll distance in my OS, but it doesn't seem to affect Roll20. Please change it so that a single wheel scroll only change the zoom by 10%, so that wheel zooming is actually useful.
Technically they wrote it to only jump 10% but the behavior is different between operating systems and browsers. Linux jumps 10% no matter what for instance whereas Windows and Mac have a lot of edge cases. They should update the scrolling code to use wheel  instead of mousewheel  and MozMousePixelScroll . Especially since it is only a matter of time before support for them is dropped (wheel has been standard since before 2013 after all). If you use firefox you can change the scroll speed in about:config . Go to about:config  accept that you're not going to touch anything weird and type "mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_y" in the filter bar. Double click the value column and set it to a multiple you'd like. It should be 100 by default so setting it to 50 will make your scrolls half the size. 200 will make them twice the size, etc. Since you're modifying this for only while holding alt and nearly no website has alt-zoom support this should be a pretty consistent and easy change with little to no side-effects. The downside when doing alt-scrolling on firefox is that it doesn't prevent the toolbar menu from popping open so it opens and steals your focus when you let go of alt. (You can of course disable this as well with about:config?filter=ui.key.menuAccessKeyFocuses  but some people actually use the alt key regularly for that function so the choice is yours.) Pick your poison. I don't see this getting fixed until a large rewrite of all the rendering engine. It is a pretty small and isolated part of the code so I could be wrong. (wheeldelta is only used 10 times and MozMousePixelScroll can just be killed)
Seconding the call to fix the zoom. Very frustrating to use, currently. (And I'm on Chrome, not Firefox.)
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone. Thanks for this report. This is a bug and we're bringing it in as a bug to be fixed, rather than as a suggestion. The relevant dev is aware of the issue and has it in his backlog. Special thanks to Noon for a thoughtful technical analysis of the issue-- that will definitely help as we move forward with fixing it. Since this is a bug and not really a feature request, I'm closing this thread to refund your votes.