Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 extremely laggy.

Edited 1540238373
Since a few months back Roll20 has been laggy for me, doesnt matter which game im in, hell even typing this sometimes lag with a roll20 game open in one tab. I've tried all browsers I have, same lag in all of them. The people I play with has noticed this lag aswell when i asked them. But this last three weeks has been extremely laggy. All games use Shaped Sheet. I've tried updating drivers, java, you name it. I can't think of anything else to do. Has anyone else noticed the lag recently? =/ *Edit* Also having two tabs open (one game, one Forums) gives me a loading symbol when i switch tabs..
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Vanguard, There has not been a noticeable upswing in reports of lag, either in general or with the Shaped sheet in particular. Nevertheless, lag is annoying and there are some things you can do to reduce it. If a sheet itself is being laggy, you can try turning off autofill. That often introduces a noticeable gap in response when entering a field. If you are all noticing lag across multiple browsers and platforms, the likely culprit is the campaign. Extremely large campaigns with hundreds of characters or even smaller campaigns with many spellcasting characters can become quite laggy. Examine your journal to see if you have become top heavy with character sheets, and make sure your aren't loading up characters with spells (clerics, druids and other non-memorizers are frequent culprits. You can also reduce the number of maps if you have a great many of them, or they are particularly large or filled with multiple objects. You don't have to permanently delete anything though. As a Pro user you can offload anything not currently needed to a backup library campaign, pulling them back in when needed. Finally, this page in the wiki has a number of ways to generally improve performance. See if any of these suggestions help.
Hello, thanks for the response! =D 1: I have autofill off by default. 2: Its not all of us at the same time, we are five in total in our monday game, sometimes im the only one with lag, sometime its two others and not me. It seems very random who gets to play with lag. =P Also that campaing is small, small number of PC/NPC sheets, small number of map pages. It lags as much as my big campagin sadly, so I dont think its that. ALSO while typing this i timed the number of seconds between the lag spikes. It turned out to be every 45-60 sec. (with this i mean, as im typing this the letters stop appearing and suddendly appear after 3-5 sec, I have an empty game open in another tab) 3: I'll check that link  and see what i can do. Thanks =)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think I'm familiar with lag being reported while typing to the forum itself. I don't want to have you reveal any personal information you don't wish to, but might you be connected from a country with a firewall, such as China, or using a VPN? If the links don't do you any good, report back here and I'll see if I can flag down a dev to come in and take a peek.

Edited 1540250252
I no longer have the game open in a tab but i still get lag spikes here... This only happens in Roll20, normal websurfing or watching videos or whatever does not stutter or get lag spikes in anyway. I am using a VPN through my ISP though, trying to remember if this lag/stutter happened before that. Im Swedish, we have no such Firewall =) So, as i was typing this i had my taskmanager ontop, when i got the lagspike, my CPU jumped from 0.8 to 29ish% and memorry from 1984 MB to 2800-3100MB and a few seconds later it dropped back to normal again (after about 5 sec) and all my typed characters jumped out >_<; *Edit* The lag spikes start to happen if I enter a game and moves around tokens or open a sheet, suddenly bam, CPU goes up to 30-40% and my marker gets stuck in the last icon it had, Mouse pointer, cross for token movement or | for typeing, and a few seconds later its back to normal again. Now I can only make it happen again in Firefox, Opera is more sluggish, but thats my main browser, Firefox i only use for Roll20.

Edited 1540249595
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm going to seek some guidance on this, since it's an uncommon problem. Normally, I'd ask you to go through our Troubleshooting steps (You still can, I'll post them at the end), but I'll go ahead and notify the devs anyway, since I know that there have been problems with some VPNs. Going through the steps might provide them with some needed data. Something they may want to know: Are the other players from Sweden and are they also working through a VPN? Our guide to  Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions  and  anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Not sure if the last one will be necessary for the forum issue, but it might provide the devs data.
And now I cant get it to lag in either browser suddenly... I'll ask my friends tomorrow as its 01:30am here atm. I need some sleep. I'll get back to you tomorrow about this! =) Thanks for all your help!