Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sound Settings for a game with local players and one remote player

I'm going to be DM'ing a game this Sunday at a house where there will be five people playing together and one person playing remotely. My current setup: A Laptop for the DM screen and an HDMI cable connected to a TV set. I run one a browser with my Pro Roll20 account on the laptop and the TV screen is running a browser in Private Window and logged into a separate free player account. Then I run my sound through the TV for Roll20 tracks and playlists. Local plus Remote Setup: Everything will be setup as above except for I'll also have a Blue Yeti Pro Microphone using the Omni-Directional setting and I'll place it near the center of the game table. The remote player will have earphones. Side note, I'll have a webcam setup for the whole table and I'll have on on my laptop computer. I'm not sure how to set sound without everyone having headphones so that I can play music for the local players and the remote player while also hearing the remote player's voice and not getting feedback. I could use voice conferencing, would that completely solve the problem except there might be some echoing on his end with the music that will be playing on the TV. Any other options I haven't considered?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've almost never experienced any kind of feedback while playing music. Most noise cancellation seems to work pretty well. I've played with all mixes of remote and local players, and the only feedback problem we've ever run into is having more than one speaker and one mic going in a local environment. If you are concerned or run into problems (it would be a good idea to set up a between-game set-up session with at least you and the player), having the one remote player wear headphones should deal with most potential problems caused by music. Of course, my bar for quality is set at "intelligible", so others may have better suggestions.
keithcurtis said: I've almost never experienced any kind of feedback while playing music. Most noise cancellation seems to work pretty well. I've played with all mixes of remote and local players, and the only feedback problem we've ever run into is having more than one speaker and one mic going in a local environment. If you are concerned or run into problems (it would be a good idea to set up a between-game set-up session with at least you and the player), having the one remote player wear headphones should deal with most potential problems caused by music. Of course, my bar for quality is set at "intelligible", so others may have better suggestions. This eases my concerns, it's not like we're streaming live so my quality standards aren't extremely high. I did find some free software called VoiceMeter that might help cancel out some background noise while helping to make the local group's voices sound better. As long as the mic odesn't pick up the remote players voice and music from the TV speaker then I think we should be good.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, we generally play with the music pretty low. I have turned it off in the past not because of feedback, but because of distraction factor. In any case, when you are starting a game a good rule of thumb is to always allow the first 30-60 minutes to settle connection/audio/video/seating/character finishing problems. :)
keithcurtis said: Yeah, we generally play with the music pretty low. I have turned it off in the past not because of feedback, but because of distraction factor. In any case, when you are starting a game a good rule of thumb is to always allow the first 30-60 minutes to settle connection/audio/video/seating/character finishing problems. :) I'm going to get just that, the remote player has never played before so I've scheduled a block of time before the game to teach him the basics and that should be a good time to get the sound setup too. Thanks for the help and advice.