Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Interest Check] [Beat to Quarters] Napoleonic War naval RPG [Fridays, Bimonthly, 6:30 PM Pacific Time Zone]

Edited 1540450821
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Game: Beat to Quarters by Omnihedron Games Genre: Historical (Napoleonic War) Starts: November 2018 Frequency: Twice monthly  Days/Start Times: Fridays, 6:30ish PM Pacific Time Zone Number of Players: 3 - 5 (but will run for less if folks are OK with being more proactive and willing to have more limelight) Newbies: Welcome Character Generation: Session Zero Sessions: 5-6 (initially a mini-campaign, more sessions if interest is still there) Capt. Jack Aubrey:  "Do you want to see a guillotine in Piccadilly?" Crew:  "No!" Capt. Jack Aubrey:  "Want to call that raggedy-ass Napoleon your king?" Crew:  "No!" Capt. Jack Aubrey:  "You want your children to sing the 'La Marseillaise?'" Crew:  "NO!" — Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) Hello Everyone, I’m interested in running a game of Beat to Quarters , a Napoleonic War naval RPG by Omnihedron Games ( available for “Pay what you want” on DriveThruRPG ) and I’m gauging interest. The system is a standard-playing-card-based rule set that emulates movies like the  Hornblower  series and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (as well as other Napoleonic War fiction books and videos). Capt. Jack Aubrey:  "Right lads, now, I know there's not a faint heart among you, and I know you're as anxious as I am to get into close action. But we must bring them right up beside us before we spring this trap. That will test our nerve, and discipline will count just as much as courage. The Acheron is a tough nut to crack... more than twice our guns, more than twice our numbers, and they will sell their lives dearly." — Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) Each player chooses whether to play an officer or seaman on one of His Majesty’s Royal Navy ships, but don’t think that this means that the officers have it better.  Each character has skills and reputations, experiences (both pre- and post-joining the navy), and attributes like Charm, Discipline, Influence and Guts. Each character also starts the game with a personal mission that they must complete, in addition to the whole crew striving to complete a military mission assigned to them. Failure in a mission can lead to disgrace and shame, individually or for the ship, while success can lead to riches and glory! Past players that I’ve run the game for have chosen personal missions that range from “Find the French Spy before he escapes with the battle plans” to “Find the valuable French cognac” to “Be the gold brickiest gold bricker in the whole company”. Can the PCs achieve these goals while fighting for King and Country? Capt. Jack Aubrey:  "Killick, an extra ration of rum for these men." Joseph Nagle, Carpenter's Mate:  "Thank you very much, sir." William Warley, Cpt. of Mizzentop:  "Thank you, sir." — Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) I plan on starting this game in November, aiming for twice monthly, on Fridays, starting around 6:30ish PM Pacific Time Zone. I’m looking for 3-5 players but willing to do less if the players are comfortable with being proactive and in the limelight. Because it’s important that the group gels together, I plan on running a 5-6 session mini-campaign and continuing if interest is there. Character generation will occur in Session Zero . Newbies welcome. Capt. Jack Aubrey: "England is under threat of invasion, and though we be on the far side of the world, this ship is our home. This ship, is England. So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... surprise is on our side." Crew: "Huzzah, huzzah!" — Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) So who’s interested in fighting the French, behaving like gentlemen, chasing down pirates, romancing a duchess, firing broadsides into the enemy at point blank range, dealing with bad reputations and scandalous innuendo, and nasty, brutish and bloody boarding actions? Feel free to post interest here or PM me. Thanks for your time. /Matt
I will do my duty, sir!
I’m interested.
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, Three Players so far and a possible 4th. Anyone else? I’ll be sending out PMs to the players today. /Matt

Edited 1540501481
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, If you are concerned about the game being male-centric, no worries. Historically, women, with their officer spouse, served on Royal Navy ships as everything from gun crew to surgeons (unofficially and usually in emergencies). Since this game is pseudo historical, simply because it emulates the historical fiction genre, I have no problem with female characters either openly as an officer’s spouse or in disguise as men. /Matt
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, We have 4 players and room for 1 more. /Matt
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, Still have room for one more player. /Matt
I'd love to play having read the Hornblower series multiple times along with others in the genre as well but I can't make that time. Any chance of moving it?
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Andrew said: I'd love to play having read the Hornblower series multiple times along with others in the genre as well but I can't make that time. Any chance of moving it? Hello Andrew, Alas, the other four players have agreed to the day of the week and time. /Matt
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, We’ve got an open Game Listing here and we’re looking for one more player. Session Zero (character creation) is currently scheduled for Friday, November 9, 6:30 PM Pacific. /Matt
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, As I said above, we’re still looking for a 5th player. /Matt

Edited 1541390881
This sounds like it could be fun. Time and dates work well for me. I haven't looked at Beat to Quarters in quite a while, but I could crack it out and give it a read through. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know.
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Claybor said: This sounds like it could be fun. Time and dates work well for me. I haven't looked at Beat to Quarters in quite a while, but I could crack it out and give it a read through. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know. PM sent. /Matt
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, We have our group of players and we’re moving forward to character creation. Thanks for the interest. /Matt