Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Dynamic Lighting issues

Hello my fellow dice rollers.  First of all, sorry if I post this on the wrong forum or if this issue has already been resolved. I recently purchase a suscription for roll20 for the use of the dynamic lightning which I find amazing, sadly I'm not really all proficient with it. Let me explain the setup of my party. We all are gathered on a single place to play a 3.5 d&d campaign, we mostly do it old school but we use roll20 for combat and dungeon crawling. I use the DM account to be able to make adjustments to the battlemap and control the npcs and we use another laptop  with a player's account with control of all the characters on the party, and we project this into a wall. Here comes the tricky part. I have look for suggestions to tackle the shared vision, from the DM account I manage to eliminate this issue thanks to the ctrl+l command to see the perspective of a single character but sadly this command doesnt work for the players, I tried to open another chrome window and have 2 DM accounts at the same time, one joined as a player, but it seems this also doesn't work. Is there a way to allow a player's accout or a DM's account joined as a player the use of the ctrl+l command? If not, what suggestion can you recomend me to solve this issue?  Sorry if this post is a little confusing, english is my second language
Roll20 usage in Meatspace (the real world) is generally set up like this: The GM uses a laptop that only he sees. The players use another computer with a large screen they can all see. The players log in as one account, with access to all PCs. The GM uses a GM account, and only he can see it, so that's fine. The Players all use the same monitor, so they all have the same vision. Often, one player will control the PCs action, or they can just pass the mouse/keyboard around. If the GM allows it, they can also have their character sheets open using the Roll20 App. The problem as I see it is that you want each individual PC's vision discrete, and not visible to the other players This is not easily possible without multiple systems, or having players leave the room when its not their turn. Alternately, you could potentially change the vision of the active player's token so they can see when it's their turn, and leave the other tokens without vision (or with minimal vision) to simulate it not being their turn. A PRO level subscription would allow the use of TokenMod, an API script which makes vision changes easy for the GM. Non-GM players cannot use Ctrl-L. Hope that helps.
1540801146

Edited 1540801353
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Phnord has hit most of the key points beautifully. All I could possibly add is that the wiki may contain some more detail/useful tips for playing in person. In addition to the 'go Pro, get TokenMod' idea, which is a very good one in my slightly bias opinion, there is also an API script (again Pro subscription required) that keeps the players sight limited to the character whose turn it is... I'll see if I can dredge up a link. edit:   Found it ... it also has an option to allow 'all player' view with a dummy account that is automatically restricted to 'player whose turn it is' when the turn order is open, perfect for all your dungeon crawling needs (again, please remember this is a Pro subscription solution... sorry)