Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Player

I'm looking to get into playing DnD and not sure where to start. Online seams easier to me than adventure leagues in gaming store cause there are none close to my home. I have play 2 short campaigns of DnD advanced and  4th edition. both of which i enjoyed. i would guess buying a handbook would be useful but not even sure which one. Any advise or someone willing to teach me what i need to know?

Edited 1541297127
I’m also brand new. What’s your Timezone. Maybe good to learn together
east coast USA
i can do a session that goes over the basics, if your interested let me know and we can talk about the details.
That would be great. When would you be available to do it?
Hi Nate, As for the handbook you need. As a player the one you want to get is D&amp;D 5e Players Handbook or abbreviated is 5e PHB, you can get it online as PDF, a book and on roll20 as an addition to your games as a compendium. But if you don't want to spend the money up front the System Reference Document (SRD) are all you need to get started with the basic rules and are free to everyone and available on roll20 as standard or you can download it from&nbsp; <a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd</a> . Any book there after is additional for the player besides the Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual and adventure modules. I hope this helps you out in some way.
my open times are as follows (in EST) Wednesdays&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5:00 - 16:00 Saturday&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 8:00 - 17:00 Sundays&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5:00 - 16:00 any session that starts and ends within those boundaries works for me. i cannot run anything on Wednesday 7th but after that everything is ok.
hey im new as well if you get something started today may I join and learn as well I have the bare basics down I think
rough idea how long of session are you think ?

Edited 1541342395
nate for a basic tutorial i say 6 hours of sessions, this is normally cut into two 3 hour sessions or three 2 hour sessions. that is only a guide however, you may want more or less content to be covered. justin it is very unlikely that any content will be covered today.
Wednesdays wouldn't work based on your availability. if we started soon i could get 2hr session in today

Edited 1541343324
sadly i have plans for today starting in 30 mins, the only chance for a session today would be 14:00 - 16:00(est)
another time then i'll get back to you about next weekend when i know for sure what im doing. thanks