Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Load times on pages...a more specific Question...

So i run a pretty big campaign.  been going on for 2.5yrs now, full of maps and what not.   If i'm not using the maps or they are done with for the time being,  I can obviously archive them... but if archiving them.....will they cut down on load times on the pages being loaded up?

Edited 1542764418
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As it turns out, archiving page does not reduce load time, and the number of pages in your campaign does negatively influence performance. Archiving is primarily a cosmetic/organizational tool; the information is still there. The same is true for character sheets. Since you are a pro user, the best practice is to create a Library Campaign , and Transmogrify unneeded assets into it, deleting them from your working campaign.
I ran into this problem a while back.  It seems that the number of characters really slows things down, especially when you try to edit their token macros.   If you follow keithcurtis's suggestion (and you should) you will want to start by cutting out unused characters.  Your maps should not cause a problem because jpg files are small.  I found that things slowed down, not impossibly, but noticeably, when I included over 100 characters.  I don't know how many characters you have nor how many is too many for comfort.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To be clear, the map jpegs themselves, sitting in your user library, are not an issue, but recently it has been clarified that deployed maps on pages, along with associated assets like tokens, Dynamic Lighting lines, art pieces, etc, do make up a respectable part of the overhead.
Thank you for the clarification.  I did not know for sure.  But when creating our latest campaign, we tried to push it to the limit.  I put 100+ characters with tokens, attribute macros, and some rollable tokens on over a dozen very, very large maps with Dynamic Lighting and GM layer information, etc.  It now takes about 30 seconds to get into the editor for a token macro.  I noticed that this time increases with each character ability that I edit (...a cache issue..?) occasionally encouraging me to reload while working on creating the campaign. However, while running the campaign, the only issue we faced showed when we all were sitting at the same table using six laptops on one home network.  We apparently hit the limits of the home network but had no trouble the following week when logging in from different locations.  I am very impressed with how big/ detailed of a campaign we could to create (shameless plug-- look for "Seven Days at Ranger Fort" coming soon to the Marketplace) and would be interested to hear other people's experiences with very large campaigns.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This thread has some numbers.