Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Submitting New Sheets & Sheet Improvements

I would like some clarification on the...differences in how sheets are to be submitted.  I am not a Github guru, and my initial entrance to that service was fraught with mistakes, errors and headaches for multiple people.  Eventually, I got my end figured out, in part, I suspect, to allowances made by the devs for my lack of knowledge. Previously, I could submit multiple revisions to sheets in one week (period of time betwwen the devs getting behind the big red push button).  In addition, I could modify the css and html through the website and submit a pull request for the css and html separately. Recently (past month?  Year?  I took a vacation from Roll20) it appears the folks behind the curtain changed, and with them the standards for submission. Now I am running into problems and hiccups in submitting sheets and I want to smooth things out for everyone. This being the nature of having humans involved in any process, I'm not complaining. My question is what is the best method to submit sheets?  How many sheets are you willing to take in one pull request?  How many sheets changed in one week?  Do I restrict my submissions to the Github for Windows software, or is the website entrance still allowed?  And if multiple sheets are not allowed in a single pull request, does anyone know how to get the Github for Windows thingy not to add my next submission to the pull request I already submitted? 

Edited 1545142074
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
My question is what is the best method to submit sheets?  Making PR on the github website is no problem, and have never been a issue for me. I think you have more of a problem with how Git, GitHub and the Windows software functions and interacts which eachother that introduces the problems. How many sheets are you willing to take in one pull request? It's a good idea to separe PR by sheet. If there is some minor problem on one sheet's changes, it doesn't have to affect the other sheet's PR.  How many sheets changed in one week? No limit I'd say, but it's smar to group them in the same PR. Do I restrict my submissions to the Github for Windows software, or is the website entrance still allowed? I see no mentioning anywhere that this would be disallowed. Just seems to not be the best way to do it as some people have problems with the web entrance. I personally do changes on my own roll20 fork from command line, and when I pushed my changes online, I make the PR from the github page. And if multiple sheets are not allowed in a single pull request, does anyone know how to get the Github for Windows thingy not to add my next submission to the pull request I already submitted? You have to have separate branches for each sheet you're working on. With Git you usually have separate branches of each feature you're working on before you make a PR/merge them to the master.
Andreas J. said: And if multiple sheets are not allowed in a single pull request, does anyone know how to get the Github for Windows thingy not to add my next submission to the pull request I already submitted? You have to have separate branches for each sheet you're working on in pararell. Thanks for the info.  But, ah...how do I create separate branches?  More than one clone repository?  More than github account?  Do I fork a character sheet by itself and not the whole repository?  Is forking even involved in this part? I am self-taught and Roll20 forum assisted.  I have no other experience with this platform. I am not even sure if I am using the right words.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Coal Powered Puppet said: Andreas J. said: And if multiple sheets are not allowed in a single pull request, does anyone know how to get the Github for Windows thingy not to add my next submission to the pull request I already submitted? You have to have separate branches for each sheet you're working on in pararell. Thanks for the info.  But, ah...how do I create separate branches?  More than one clone repository?  More than github account?  Do I fork a character sheet by itself and not the whole repository?  Is forking even involved in this part? I am self-taught and Roll20 forum assisted.  I have no other experience with this platform. I am not even sure if I am using the right words. This!! I hate having the full Roll20 repo on my hard drive, but whenever I've tried forking just a single character sheet, it pulls the entire repo with it...I've seen references to things, "You should only branch the character sheet you want," but how do you that? Like I said, when I've tried in the past, it still forked the entire repo.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As a "follower" of the Roll20  Character sheet Github repo, I (very selfishly) wish people would do only one PR per sheet and per week, because a mail is sent everytime an update is made to the repo ... :) Warning: not a git/github pro at all, and using the command line might me faster, but here's what I use to do: As for branching, you do it on your fork, and it's very easy in the Github Desktop application (hitting the "new branch" button), with one branch per sheet:  When working on a specific sheet, do it its in own branch, commit to your fork as needed, and then do a PR from your fork/branch (on the github website for example), to the main repo.  
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
.how do I create separate branches?  On the GitHub  web interface (youtube link). I don't know how it's done on the Windows Graphical User Interface(GUI) as I use the command line version for the few things I do. More than one clone repository?  More than github account?  Do I fork a character sheet by itself and not the whole repository?  Is forking even involved in this part? After several minutes of thinking and rewriting I have to give up with trying to figure out how to explain Git&GitHub to you shortly and understandably. I'm not native English speaker myself and this is technical stuff, sorry. I just have to say that you don't seem to grasp what Git, GitHub is, nor how they works, which is needed for beinga able to explain anything in a good way. Someone more knowledgeable than me could give it a try or link to a good guide, but I can't of the top of my head nor with a quick search that seem to be a short and good one. I'm sorry but it's just too big of a question for me to answer right now. Git  is a revision control system, a tool to manage your source code history.  GitHub  is a hosting service for Git repositories. The graphical Git/Github interface hides the underlying command line things that Git operates on, which makes things slightly harder to expalin because most guides on Git/GitHub refers to the command line things when explaining how things function. When I got started I tried to use the Windows GUI for github but didnt understand things so it didnt work too well, so I learned from guides how the command line version works, which also made me understand how Git actually works, and even afterwards trying the GUI i went bach to do things on the command line. There exist probably good guides on the GUI, but I don't know them, and some of them might still rely on the user at least partially understanding how Git works.  I am self-taught and Roll20 forum assisted.  I have no other experience with this platform. I'm self-taught in both GitHub & Character Sheet stuff as well, and you're among the people who probably helped me when I got started a bit over a year ago.
I am self-taught and Roll20 forum assisted.  I have no other experience with this platform. I'm self-taught in both GitHub & Character Sheet stuff as well, and you're among the people who probably helped me when I got started a bit over a year ago. ...when you left me, you were but the learner; now you am the master... Thanks for the input.  I will continue to read and re-read the data; maybe something will stick
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Natha said: As a "follower" of the Roll20  Character sheet Github repo, I (very selfishly) wish people would do only one PR per sheet and per week, because a mail is sent everytime an update is made to the repo ... :) Do you get mail for every comment/commit or only for each merge or new PR/Issue? I must have been great for your inbox with raising up to top10 in commits in a year, even if I haven't contributed that much :) Finderski said: I hate having the full Roll20 repo on my hard drive, but whenever I've tried forking just a single character sheet, it pulls the entire repo with it...I've seen references to things, "You should only branch the character sheet you want," but how do you that? Like I said, when I've tried in the past, it still forked the entire repo. Yeah this is pretty much impossible, unless you know the underlying Git and are ready to do things in the command line(No I haven't done this but it seems to be possible with shallow clones and some other advanced git command line trickery).  Coal Powered Puppet said: ...when you left me, you were but the learner; now you am the master... lol yeah I guess we can say that when it comes to GitHub, but I'm pretty green when it comes to Character Sheet stuff, I've like barely started looking at how sheetworkers work and understand only the most simple cases. Coal Powered Puppet  said: Thanks for the input.  I will continue to read and re-read the data; maybe something will stick Don't look too deeply into my attempt at explaining things, you need got to look elsewhere for a good explanation. About the Roll20 Wiki Github article : It's still a fairly good at explanining some of the basics, but as it says there itself, it works under the asumption that the user is familiar with Git. Which isn't too helpful, considering there are many who don't seem know there existing a difference between them, and that the real problem people have with these stuff is with not knowing how the underlying Git works. The article could do with more links to good Intro-guides to Git/GitHub, but maybe just a small section that explains how branches works could help a lot, and how to upload several files/changes through the web interface that many seem to use. Maybe I'll add a guide on how things can work in the command line in the future.
CPP made a really nice ASoIaF sheet that patches problems in a sheet originally made by a user named Raul Hess. This sheet CPP editied out some bugs with is wonderful. I can't say that I understand the process for submitting, but I hope it goes through as he's been working at getting this approved for over three weeks now.

Edited 1546598522
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's a bit inaccurate to say frame it timewise like that. The 3 week break in sheet approvals was known, so likely nothing have been woked on for 3 weeks.