Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Damage Dice: Treat 1s as Max

So in one of my campaigns I'm playing Zarieth's Witch Class for 5e One of the abilities I can use is to treat any damage dice showing a 1 may be treated as maximum possible damage. This affects a number of damage dice equal to the spell-slot expended as a passive effect. Is there any macro I could use to make this process easier than to check my roll in chat and taking whole minutes from our game to calculate damage?

Edited 1547241353
Spren
Sheet Author
Unfortunately macro's can't do an "if" statement. Which is what you are looking for here: "if it's a 1 make it a __". This sort of thing can be done with api scripts my guess is the Powercards script could at the least get you part of the way there if not do exactly what you need. That would require your DM to be a Pro subscriber and be willing to install and set it all up for you though. Besides that the one thing I can think of that you could do to make your life a little easier is to turn on 3d dice. Then you won't need to hover to see the rolls since the dice will be there on your screen and you can quickly count the 1's.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm not aware of anyway to handle that.

Edited 1547272986
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You cant doit the way you want, but you can fake it. Roll 1d8, treat 1 is 8 , is exactly the same as roll d8+1, treat 9 as 8 . You can represent that in a macro with {d8+1, 8+0d0}dh1 . (The 0d0 term is because you cant mix dice and numbers easily in operations like this, and have to trick roll20 into thinking both parts of the expression are dice). Exactly how to incorporate this approach into your macro is hard to guess. Could you post it?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's pretty clever!

Edited 1547250199
Spren
Sheet Author
That is genius GiGs. But won't it add a +1 to every roll under an 8? So a 2 becomes a 3 etc.?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes, but a 1 becomes a 2 as well. The range is 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-8, either way.

Edited 1547251838
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yes, but GiGs' point is that statistically there is no difference. Ninjad by Keith ;)
Spren
Sheet Author
I get it now. Thanks!
First off, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions! I'm excited to have such positive feedback! Now, I am still somewhat new to macros and how they function, so forgive me if I don't pick it up real quick... ^^; So let's say I'm casting Ice Knife at 3rd level. Assuming the initial piercing damage is more than 1, we move on to the cold damage effect. So 4d6 cold damage.  Would this be translated as /roll {4d6+1, 6+0d0}dh1 ?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately the method I suggested doesnt really work well with groups of dice. i think you'd have to do it as /roll {1d6+1, 6+0d0}dh1 + {1d6+1, 6+0d0}dh1  + {1d6+1, 6+0d0}dh1  + {1d6+1, 6+0d0}dh1 
Ahhhhh! That makes sense! And Honestly, it _would_ be simpler that way, since I can only do that for a certain number of damage dice. I only really have 2 high-damage spells on my sheet as of right now (the rest are utility/summoning). I could cast at a lower level and proceed rolling the macro dice accordingly! ^^