Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Interest Check] Guest players

I am currently running a 5E homebrew campaign (with purchased modules mixed in) and the PCs are getting up there in level while the campaign itself is getting complicated in the intrigue, multiple plot points and interwoven storylines. It leaves me with a lot to keep track of and I'd like to offload running npcs, villains and some of the more boss monsters. We have enough PCs in the adventuring party so a candidate for the game would not be running their own PC but be expected to get to know whichever NPC they would play, and be short term (or possibly long term if they are cool with running different NPCs/boss monsters).  I've considered opening a spot or two via Pick Up Game, but I'd be concerned I get someone who might not have enough time to get to know the character, or is so brand new to the rules they would not play the character to it's fullest. So, I am looking for comments and feed back from players - is this even something you would be interested in participating in (assuming you'd be able to play during the game time slot, and that other aspects of the game are agreeable to you)? Also, are there any DMs out there who actually do this? What works? How about PUGs?
Hi, Although im not new to DnD im a new to what you are describing. The only thing is i dont have a monster manuel to go off and "boss monsters" but do love to role play weather it be the characters i create or NPS that you have created. All i would need is how you as the DM would like that character to be played i.e if you wanted him to be played in a particular way.  I am in GMT+1 time zone. just let me know if i can help of you wish to discuss more.
Hello Doug, I would like to make sure im understanding this correctly, you are looking for someone would would possibly take over as a npc to help take the burden off yourself some? and possibly someone to take control of and fight as the boss during fights? if so please send me a mail I would be possibly interested in such a thing.
@ZombieKOW All of the NPCs (which includes villains, monsters and friendlies) would have a goal or set of goals, sometimes personality traits, bonds, etc., which is what you would be expected to roleplay (voices, mannerisms would be up to you) but you would also need to know their abilities very well and I would provide the situation that they are in. Also, if you had any ideas regarding tweaking the NPCs I would certainly be interested in hearing them. I support player agency. You would have access and control over the character sheet for the NPC, plus any of there minions I would have you play. The sheet would have all the info you basically need. @steven s. You are correct, except not 'possibly'. You would take control and ownership of that NPC, plus any minions. The crux of this thread is to start a convo - to see if players are interested in joining an on-going game but for a very short term - hence, guest player - but also to hear what barriers you might have to the concept. Also, to hear from DMs who have already done this, their advice. I have never had guest players but I have had players before that were brought into the game long-term to run the NPCs but they all left - two have stated they wanted to run their own PC, the other two could no longer commit to the time slot. So, I'm looking at a scenario like, for example, "I need someone to run a Lich over the next couple (more or less) sessions". Or, "The PCs in this game are entering a module or story arch where the villain is an Ancient Red Dragon..."
This could be something fun. It would certainly give the NPC's more of a personality since it wouldn't be just you doing voice overs and less predictability as well. Depending on the level of control given to affect things, it could also create obstacles for the players based off of the NPC actions "off-screen" and set things up for in the future. When do you run your games though?
What timezone are you looking for?