Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting has stopped working correctly on one map for no apparent reason.

Despite having worked fine for days, a map I had dynamic lighting set up on has suddenly stopped displaying the various environmental lights (checked and double-checked that they were set to all players view light) and any token with sight has a small radius of light around them, despite not actually having one in the token's settings. Tried putting new tokens on the map and the same thing happens to them.

Edited 1548787687
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Seth! While you were posting this, we were pushing out a code update that changed a lot of things with Advanced Fog of War, adding animations, and had some impact on Dynamic Lighting. Can you check again (be sure to refresh the game) and, if you're still having an issue, comment back with your page settings, browser and OS information, and the game ID so we can take a look?
SᵃᵛᵃǤᵉ
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Getting black screen of loading and nothing else!!

Edited 1548788954
I am now having the exact same issue as Seth above...none of the light sources I created, whether on the Dynamic Lighting layer, Map layer, or Token layer, are working anymore. I have refreshed the game several times to no avail, and I even re-created some of my light sources (torches, etc) to see if that worked. It didn't. All of those have entries under Light Radius/Start of Dim, and the All Players See Light box is checked. I am not having the same problem as Seth is with character tokens, however...if they do not have any entries under Emits Light, they do not emit any light as expected. If they do, they still do. It is only the non-character tokens that are no longer emitting any light. In my Game Settings, the only default I have checked is Grid Enabled, everything else I do manually on the map or token itself, as needed. But on the maps in question where the problem is occurring, I definitely have Dynamic Lighting Enabled, as well as Enforce Line of Sight and Restrict Movement. My browser is Mozilla Firefox and my OS is Windows 7. I'm not sure what you mean by "Game ID" (the name of the game is "Thousand Eyes of Aumag-Bel".
Can also confirm that created light sources I had hidden on the dynamic light layer to give off light no longer function. Adding them again or even adjusting the radius has no effect.  Using latest version of Mozilla Firefox.
Hey everyone, We actually have a bug report thread dedicated to feedback and issues (like this one with Dynamic Lighting) popping up as a result of the new Advanced Fog of War update, which can be found here . Feel free to report these and any further issues to that thread. Thank you.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, folks. We are able to recreate the light sources not emitting light issue, and are working on it. If your dynamic lighting stopped working entirely, can you please follow Step 4 from the Troubleshooting Guide and post your console log from when you load a page with dynamic lighting or try to interact with it?
So light sources have started working again, albeit seemingly laggier than I remember, but there's still a weird little radius of light around any token with sight, allowing them to see their immediate surroundings even in complete darkness
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Seth E. said: So light sources have started working again, albeit seemingly laggier than I remember, but there's still a weird little radius of light around any token with sight, allowing them to see their immediate surroundings even in complete darkness That's as designed. Previously, tokens with sight could get "lost" in darkness. 
Is there a way to return to the previous way? I very much want them to be able to get lost.
Hi, I'm using roll20 free and the simple fog of war is overlapping rather than blending in, eg. if I hide an object then hide around the object, the object with be hidden darker, only on gm side though.
I've noticed a few issues with the dynamic lighting system too since the update. The main one is that "All Players See Light" option seems to be permanently enabled. The human tokens can see what the darkvision tokens can see if they are within line of sight.  I'm happy to provide whatever information you need to help fix this bug.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, JamHam, Thanks for the report. I'm going to copy your report over to the official feedback thread  for the most recent update, to keep them all in one spot. You can follow the hotfixes and statuses there. JamHam said: Hi, I'm using roll20 free and the simple fog of war is overlapping rather than blending in, eg. if I hide an object then hide around the object, the object with be hidden darker, only on gm side though.