Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Links to Handouts not working?

I had a bunch of history handouts for my players and used the linking to handout trick and moved handouts to Archive.  Now it seems like the handouts don't like links any more.  Got a pop up window (normal) then after a pause " Sorry, the page you were looking for does not exist or is not available.  We performed a web search for “Journal Roll 20 Doen Handout” and here's what we found. "   I tried un-archiving the handout - no luck Tried renaming handout and link - no luck. Is there a gremlin in the system or has something changed? Thanks 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you have a handout labeled "Starting City History" and you type [Starting City History] in a bio&info tab or in another handout, it isn't creating a working link for you?  Or are you using the link tool in the editor?
Was doing originally with [handout name here] and sometimes I'd go back to the link too to just change the text to "name".   Is there a way to find out a handout's html for me to past into the link tool?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I have no idea.  I thought you could get something by popping the handout into a separate window.  I just tried and that doesn't give a real url.  Maybe someone else will have an idea.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Normally: Make your handout link normally with   [handout name here]. Open the handout that has that link typed in it and instead of clicking on it to open the referenced handout, right click on it and copy the URL. But if   [handout name here]  is not working in the first place, I'm not sure.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah. Pop out the handout into its own window, right click on it and choose "Inspect". This will open up the inspector panel. A few lines above the highlighted one, you'll see a line that contains: data-handoutid="-verylongidnumber" Simply place that -verylongidnumber into the following URL: <a href="http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-verylongidnumber" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-verylongidnumber</a> That link will open up a handout. There may be an easier way, but that's what I found off the top of my head.
Looking like it's a problem within my main campaign.&nbsp; i have another one I use as a "sandbox" and that seemed to work fine.&nbsp; Maybe I should see if there is a "help ticket" I can put in?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
State your problem very clearly, including reproduction steps, in the Bug Reports and Technical Issues forum. A mod will probably ask you for more information, but you can be proactive and go through the Troubleshooting steps (some of them you have probably already done): Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome&nbsp; and&nbsp; Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable&nbsp; all&nbsp; add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through&nbsp; Step 4 .&nbsp; (Don't forget the complete Console Log!)
Did what Keith recommended.&nbsp; Also turned off "pop out" under settings.&nbsp; This seemed to fix the problem. Thanks,
&nbsp;try to open a handout in new window,right click on it and copy the URL, use sandbox and maybe it will work fine.