Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - without the blacked-out areas where the token can't see?

So this has probably been answered, but when looking for "dynamic lighting" posts (I'm coming back from a long hiatus) there are...quite a few, and I wasn't sure quite how to ask this.  Basically, is there a way to just set up vision blocking? In other words, to create vision blocking shapes on the map so that the players can see the entire map all the time, but could not see items on the token layer if there's a vision-blocking object in between them and the object. I prefer that the players can always see the entire area - but this would help with quick-and-dirty line-of-sight checks as well as keeping some mystery in where the enemy is.  I've attached an image of what I'm talking about - in the left-hand image, the normal dynamic lighting thing is happening. In the right hand image, there wouldn't be the black shadow, just the cut-off vision (for clarity, the yellow lines show where the sightline blocking is happening). 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The closest I can think of is to set up Global Lighting, turn on Advanced Fog of War, and drag the tokens all around the map to reveal everything. It wouldn't be exactly what you are describing, but it might be good enough.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot, and see how it goes.