Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Cannot view API Script Page

Edited 1549654357
Hey Guys, I recently attempted to add the script "game timer" and now I can't access my scripts page from the GAMES home screen anymore.  The error I keep getting is: 1a23d4d7195b45db93b2c6f76e03c0a1 To clarify, it seems my scripts are still working fine inside the game - but I cannot view the page that would allow me to add more scripts.  The most recent script I had added was from the library called "game.timer".  The page crashed when I added that script and now I cannot disable or remove it. It's like the sandbox itself is still running, but I cannot view it. Help?
have you already shut down your game associated with that sandbox and then let the sandbox time out?   I had a crash once that was fixable in this way and no, I don't know what the sandbox time out duration is :)
Thanks for the info Ammo, the problem is I can't view the API page to restart the sandbox.  Unless there is another way to do so, i'm not sure where to look.
oh on second reading, I misunderstood what you were reporting.  I doubt what I suggested does anything for this.   The only time I had a situation like yours was when I put bad info into the script server by mistake (by messing with unpublished API) and corrupting my game.  I was unable to fix it at that point and had to delete the game.   So I hope you get lucky and it recovers after restarting the sandbox by letting it time out, but I am not confident.
yeah what I was saying is how to restart the sanbox without going to that page.  just exit the game.   after an idle timeout the API server will shut down your sandbox then you wait (maybe an hour?)  
Ok, i'll try that. The really odd thing is I have my game backed up as a copy which I do regularly and said copy I can access the API page without issue.

Edited 1549658819
Ammo
Pro
That's great news!  It isn't odd, because I think you are looking at corrupted information regarding your game's scripts.  If your original game does not recover after time out, then you have three paths I think:    1) use your backup 2) contact support and see if they can remove the scripts from your game's database entry so you can start it up and add the scripts back, preserving your game content 3) write a custom tool to do this yourself, overwriting the scripts associated with your game.  relevant technical info is  Permalink , but you'd need a dev to do this and probably it isn't technically allowed.  So this would be a last resort if Roll20 support tells you this isn't recoverable

Edited 1549658923
I guess the annoying part is this was a script in the library that I merely added, not a custom script I wrote.  I was under the impression that scripts in the library had already been tested lol. I've now added this same script "Game Timer" to 4 different copies of games and every single time it crashes the sandbox and won't allow you to view the page.  That can't be coincidence.
No, that is indication that the description (like the database entry) for that script is broken and locks up the script host.  You should contact support to have it removed from the library.  
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It's strange that that would lock things up.&nbsp; I'd suggest contacting <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> to have them look at it.&nbsp; An API script should not be able to break the sandbox in that way.&nbsp; I did the rewrite of that script (which he apparently checked in to the repo...), and didn't have any issues with it in the games where I tested it.&nbsp; I can't even think of what could cause the issue outside of some sort of data corruption in the game.&nbsp; Certainly, the error you're getting isn't very useful.
I private messaged the "Roll20 Dev Team" i'm assuming that's the best support contact. I'm hoping they can remove it from the library and from my game's API sandbox so I can view the page again.&nbsp;&nbsp;
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you add the script manually to a copy of the game, does it break in the same way?&nbsp; It might be the way it's encoded in the Script Library that is broken, rather than the script.&nbsp; Or it might give you a better error message.
I don't believe the script is at fault, Aaron. &nbsp;It is the meta information that gets put into the game's descriptor for lack of a better word that I have seen cause this lock up before. I just created a room and added that one script and it locked up with error immediately.
@The Aaron I just added the script to a bunch of test games and the same exact thing happened.&nbsp; Even to a brand new game that had no scripts except that one.&nbsp; Try right now, create a game and add that script and see what happens to the sandbox page.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Ryan: like I said before, if support isn't able to fix this for you by manually removing the script (or all scripts) from your games' database entry, then let me know and I will take a stab at making a tool to fix it via accessing the URLs where the scripts are attached to your game. &nbsp;It would be work and like I said maybe not entirely what Roll20 wants us to be doing. &nbsp;So ask them to remove it manually if they can.
Aaron was asking if it breaks if you just manually copy and paste the script contents (from source control I guess) into a game instead of selecting it from the library. &nbsp;I don't believe that is what you are responding to. Ryan S. said: @The Aaron I just added the script to a bunch of test games and the same exact thing happened.&nbsp; Even to a brand new game that had no scripts except that one.&nbsp; Try right now, create a game and add that script and see what happens to the sandbox page.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Ammo said: Ryan: like I said before, if support isn't able to fix this for you by manually removing the script (or all scripts) from your games' database entry, then let me know and I will take a stab at making a tool to fix it via accessing the URLs where the scripts are attached to your game. &nbsp;It would be work and like I said maybe not entirely what Roll20 wants us to be doing. &nbsp;So ask them to remove it manually if they can. Thanks, I have emailed them and am awaiting response. It needs to be removed from the library regardless so it doesn't occur to more players.&nbsp; I am just adding additional info that this issue is not unique to my game and/or conflicting with my specific scripts.&nbsp; This is ANY game in which it is added from the library.&nbsp;&nbsp; As noted, I have backups of my game and can just re-do all my scripts, but i'd much rather have them fix this issue so I can simply disable that specific script =)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ok. I tested it by putting the script in a new game manually (works fine), and by installing it from the dropdown (breaks hard core, same as above).&nbsp; Ammo, you're completely right, it's something with how it's packaged and delivered through the 1-click. I've sent a message to the devs on another channel as well.
@The Aaron: &nbsp; tested and confirmed the script contents do NOT crash the script host if pasted into a game. &nbsp;It's just the library entry I guess.
damnit, I was trying to save you some time and you were doing the same thing at the same time :)
To clarify, a script can be added to the library without a test pass to determine the 1-click install doesn't break it?&nbsp; Seems a bit...well...foolhardy =)
Regardless, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me troubleshoot this and i'm confident the Roll20 Dev team will get it straightened out.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ammo: No worries, good to get independent validation of a problem. =D The packaging process is a mystery to those of us outside Roll20.&nbsp; I have no idea what it is, but it's clearly something.&nbsp; Hope they get it sorted out soon.

Edited 1549663787
Ammo
Pro
Game Timer's script.json has 'conflicts', 'useroptions' and 'dependencies' set to empty strings instead of two empty arrays and an empty hash, respectively The only other scripts in the repo that have this data format error are not in the library drop down, so maybe just invalid meta data format.

Edited 1549668216
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That appears to be the case.&nbsp; Try restarting your API now, Steve made it so it won't break the games (though it won't work from the drop down) The useroptions field was causing it to break the API page (he's added a task to fix that when it isn't peak hours).&nbsp; Additionally, the script.json points to a version 1.1, which doesn't exist.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you install it now, you'll see this error message, but it won't break the game: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /home/symbly/www/d20-app/apiscripts/Game Timer/1.1/timer.js
Really appreciate it guys, I have control of the API sandbox again. Thanks!
The Aaron said: If you install it now, you'll see this error message, but it won't break the game: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /home/symbly/www/d20-app/apiscripts/Game Timer/1.1/timer.js What? &nbsp;The site is written in ruby? :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Only the sandbox, so far as I know!
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm sorry. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Sad said: I'm sorry. I apologize for any inconvenience caused. No worries.