Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Music during the game

Hello! Now that Fanburst is closing down and none of it's material will be available after 25th of February, what options for music and sound effects we may have on roll20? The games I run are set in modern times and those other sounds available on jukebox are not fitting. Watch2gether is really hard to navigate for scary and sudden random noises as well as it somehow interferes with volumes of my players' headset for some reason. So, what are you going to do guys? Any advices would be appreciated.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just in  case anyone hasn't heard, here is the tweet from Fanburst.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The good news Boooo! is that you should soon be able to upload your own music to Roll20. It's still in beta at the moment (on dev). Until then, you will need to make do with the other services the Jukebox uses.

Edited 1549584428
Nolan T. J.
Roll20 Team
The Bring Your Own Beat update will be out ahead of that close down, but are concerned about having too tight an import window with Fanburst's announced date. We're hard at work on the problem, and will be communicating progress over the next two weeks. EDIT: In full discussion with the team, we're prioritizing the "My Audio" portion of the Bring Your Own Beat update (ability to upload) over releasing the entire planned feature overhaul. As such, there will be some delays to audio interface improvements timelines, but the ability to get your own music uploaded into Roll20 will be coming next week.
Damn I've been making a lot of use of Fanburst.
I stopped using the jukebox at peak times in the evenings when the system seems to lag.  Skipping music is very distracting.  Others experience this?
ROTTO said: I stopped using the jukebox at peak times in the evenings when the system seems to lag.  Skipping music is very distracting.  Others experience this? My group plays Sundays 6-10pm PST and have not had this issue. With this happening I think I'm going to transition my music off platform. We already use Discord for voice, so we'll probably use Rythm or similar for music for now on. I might keep using the Battlebards and such for foley/ambient noise.
The migration from Soundcloud to Fanburst was painful. A migration from Fanburst to Roll20 will not be as painful, hopefully, as I saved it all to the hard drive last time.  Remapping several hundred tracks will be a pain. Is there a way, using a script or a temporary tool, to just delete all of the Fanburst listings out of games?

Edited 1549596832
*DEEP HEAVY BREATH* Okay... thanks for the heads up.  Now the question is; will we be streaming the content from our own H-drives through an API on r20, or will we need to UPLoad the tracks.  If the latter, what will be the limit for free-users.  I currently have nearly 200 tracks all linked (most are fanbusrt). THIS is a major blow and I am wondering how much of a hit will I take and how limmited will I be? I'm sure that many users are in the same boat here.
Took the !Roll20AM out for a spin yesterday. Aside from the multiple choice exam color combo of the console, I have no complaints. The transition from Fanburst was effortless and so far, no bugs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You will need to upload the tracks. I do not think that any limits have been officially announced, but my guess is that hundreds of tracks will probably exceed current free storage.
As a workaround until the devs have the service up and running/as an alternative for free users: you can use Voicemeeter Banana to port your audio directly into your mic channel with independent leveling. The program is free (donationware) and will let you send your Spotify or YouTube audio straight through your mic output. I've used it for quite a while now for other applications, but this is probably going to be my own workaround (I actually donated for "Potato" but Banana works perfectly fine)

Edited 1549818096
David
Sheet Author
Anderin said: Took the !Roll20AM out for a spin yesterday. Aside from the multiple choice exam color combo of the console, I have no complaints. The transition from Fanburst was effortless and so far, no bugs. That script does not actually move any audio does it? So if you any tracks that are stored on Fanburst you will still loose them come 25th Feb.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Roll20AM does not actually import any songs. The "import" command is to move the data from the Jukebox to the Roll20AM state (the bit of persistent storage in the API sandbox). The data that is imported is pretty much just the list of track names, not the tracks themselves. Yes, if you want anything you have stored on Fanburst, you'll need to take care of that from the Fanburst site.
I'm curious what ideas people have for getting the tracks to upload legally. Without spending hundreds of dollars on itunes or similar (also, exporting from itunes has always been a tremendous hassle for me), what can we do while not violating IP? I know freesound has some sfx to use which are creative commons, but for music?

Edited 1549645193
I’m really interested to hear from Roll20 about what they’re going to do in relation to account storage space? Even for paid subscriptions, audio files are going to greatly contribute to pushing over the storage limit. Given this, I’d either expect; an increase in the storage space limit for the plus and pro users, that audio doesn’t count towards account size for pro or plus users, or (at a minimum) the ability for all users to search for songs that other people have uploaded.  Given the short period of time until fanburst closes, the sooner Roll20 make and publicise a decision, the better. They were great at this initial announcement, but they need to keep it up. 
I dont now
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone. The  main post has been updated : We're seeing lots of questions about storage space for audio, and while we don't have a complete answer yet, this is one of the reasons we have been testing music / audio tracks over the past several weeks on the Development Server. We'll be using data from Dev Server testing as well as Live quota usages to try and determine what storage changes may be necessary in the immediate future.  We don't to end up with too little storage space to effectively have a fun experience OR have a scenario where the price model of how we do storage is not sustainable. Expect more news on this in the coming weeks, as we take time to work through the data collected thus far. Thanks.
This is starting to suck more and more.
Stephanie B. said: Hi, everyone. The  main post has been updated : We're seeing lots of questions about storage space for audio, and while we don't have a complete answer yet, this is one of the reasons we have been testing music / audio tracks over the past several weeks on the Development Server. We'll be using data from Dev Server testing as well as Live quota usages to try and determine what storage changes may be necessary in the immediate future.  We don't to end up with too little storage space to effectively have a fun experience OR have a scenario where the price model of how we do storage is not sustainable. Expect more news on this in the coming weeks, as we take time to work through the data collected thus far. Thanks. Would it be possible for all user accounts to share music tracks? So effectively Roll20 would have its own small version of Sound Cloud.

Edited 1549734259
Gargamond said: Would it be possible for all user accounts to share music tracks? So effectively Roll20 would have its own small version of Sound Cloud. Pretty sure this won't be happening, as it would violate copyright. Roll20 would have to make agreements like Pandora or Spotify have with music copyright holders, and that is not Roll20's line of business.

Edited 1550159096
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Rabulias said: Gargamond said: Would it be possible for all user accounts to share music tracks? So effectively Roll20 would have its own small version of Sound Cloud. Pretty sure this won't be happening, as it would violate copyright. Roll20 would have to make agreements like Pandora or Spotify have with music copyright holders, and that is not Roll20's line of business. I completely agree, it is far better to avoid copyright issues.  I'm honestly surprised Fanburst died with a two weeks notice, I expected it to go belly up in an RIAA raid. Music stored for personal use and small group playback is a ton more legally green if you use music you own.  I far prefer Roll20's solution.  Also at the very least this adds considerable more value to Pro and up tiers.
I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one I could find that I replied to. I have made a tutorial on using VoiceMeeter Banana and Discord to port your audio for free users  on the roll20 subreddit