Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

DM knows all

Edited 1525585292
Allow DM to see player's whispers.  Honestly doesn't seem like it would help much as they could just switch to a third party.  However I have noticed that players try to metagame sometimes via whisper.
Assuming this is implimented what is going to stop them from just using Skype/Discord/Other chat client and evade your knowlege that way? 
This sounds like a problem that needs to be solved by talking with the players rather than requiring a fix on the platform.

Edited 1526581814
@Nader,   I covered that in my opening statement. @ Kyle  Right now it's not even an issue for me I just thought it would be nice me to see.
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you have API access (cant remember if Plus gets API) a small script could relay whatever they say to you in a GM whisper. I use it on mine but my players know, I use it to see what they whisper other characters(in character) so they dont have to whisper it to me a second time. For example two characters working on a secret plan without the rest of the party knowing. But to use it to spy without player knowledge goes into that ethical gray area. I can give you the code its not much at all. How you use it, or under what morals would be your decision I suppose.
man I needed that script for an old game I had that was social/political with tons of backstabbing. I would like to take you up on that offer if such a thing ever arises again and have it in my repatoire 
@dx thats actually what I'm looking for.  It's a city setting campaign, so there is a lot of what nover mentioned in the game.
I think this should work.... Without API If you are the GM You should be able to open up the character sheet.....go to edit Then in the " Can be edited & controlled by " box Just add you. The players wont know that you did that. and then you should be able to see all whispers. going to and fro. But then again....it is a grey area....
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This was a hot topic a few years ago that blew up into a flamefest as I should know since I was on the side of GM seeing all the whispers. I would recommend keeping this to simply a vote otherwise if this topic blows up again, this thread will get closed.

Edited 1526491207
Gold
Forum Champion
BilBo 2 said: I think this should work.... Without API If you are the GM You should be able to open up the character sheet.....go to edit Then in the " Can be edited & controlled by " box Just add you. The players wont know that you did that. and then you should be able to see all whispers. going to and fro. But then again....it is a grey area.... This works for Whispers to Character names, and is a normal function. It is something to be aware of (for the aforementioned grey area, ethical peeping reasons... If you whisper to a Character, anyone who has control of that Character will receive the Whisper). NOTE: This is the technique that can be used to create Language (Elvish) as a "Character" to whisper to everyone who can understand Elvish. It does not work on Whispers to Player names, under normal circumstances. These whispers are only received by the Player (absent additional hacking). That said it can be difficult to differentiate between Player and Character in the dropdowns (sometimes using the same name). So attempting to whisper to a Player name is not an absolute prophylactic against someone else seeing it, one way or another. If you have messages that you don't want the GM to potentially see, be sure to send in a more private format (like email) rather than entering it into your Game Creator GM's database! Today I've collaborated with fellow Mod Team member The Aaron to clarify the statement on this in the Roll20 Wiki. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers</a>
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .