Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My Audio Cloud: a Roll20-curated music cloud

Edited 1551301342
Now that SoundCloud will not support Roll20 and Fanburst is gone (R.I.P. Fanburst), it would be nice to be able to upload music to a cloud which will not go out of business or withdraw its support for Roll20. Especially for those of us who make EXTENSIVE use of the jukebox. I have individual playlists for each monster, complete with music, sound effects, and ambient sound. I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours listening to SoundCloud and Fanburst over the years in order to create the perfect experience for my players. Now that Fanburst is gone, most of my options for open source sounds are gone. I propose Roll20 create its own music cloud. This cloud would be a public library for all Roll20 users to upload sound files by spending their account data allotment normally . Each user would then be able to use these sound files without spending their account data allotment , just like SoundCloud and Fanburst in the past. EDIT: TL;DR Roll20 makes its own version of Fanburst 
Agreed. I vote yes
Soundcloud already has discord listening integration and you are a discord user. Before such services were available I'd agree, but the internet has advanced since then. Roll20 no longer needs to be the provider here. I vote no.
sounds good vote yes
TJ said: Agreed. I vote yes mike m. said: sounds good vote yes Thank you so much for your support.
YES YES YES ALL OF THIS YES YES YES It would really encourage the Roll20 Community to help each other out by providing each other with music and SFX. Good ambience is the hardest thing to get. 
joshscorcher said: YES YES YES ALL OF THIS YES YES YES It would really encourage the Roll20 Community to help each other out by providing each other with music and SFX. Good ambience is the hardest thing to get.  Thanks, Josh! It really means a lot to me that you’re so supportive of this idea. I really think the Roll20 community can go far if this idea is implemented.
I agree!
Nicholas B. said: I agree! Thanks, Nick! It’s great to see somebody from the Inn supporting this idea!
Gargamond said: joshscorcher said: YES YES YES ALL OF THIS YES YES YES It would really encourage the Roll20 Community to help each other out by providing each other with music and SFX. Good ambience is the hardest thing to get.  Thanks, Josh! It really means a lot to me that you’re so supportive of this idea. I really think the Roll20 community can go far if this idea is implemented. You're welcome! It would also help filter out really my only issue with Fanburst; how many times you search for a song or keyword and find dubstep remixes or indie music that are not quite appropriate for a fantasy D&D campaign lol.
I agree. No copyright infringement on behalf of Roll20 if the user uploads his/her own music. 
Glenn T. said: I agree. No copyright infringement on behalf of Roll20 if the user uploads his/her own music.  That’s a really good point, Glenn! Thanks so much for the support.
I agree. I am not sure if Roll20 has the means of being a Fanburst 2.0, but I agree with the sentiment. I loved Fanburst as I had all the SFX for Star Trek TOS, other effects, and some cool ambient music. 
Paul said: I agree. I am not sure if Roll20 has the means of being a Fanburst 2.0, but I agree with the sentiment. I loved Fanburst as I had all the SFX for Star Trek TOS, other effects, and some cool ambient music.  OMG! Just imagine if we could all pool our sound resources! Thanks for the support, Paul!
If Roll20 has the means to create a jukebox, could a music cloud be much different?
im not too certain how all of it works, but i am involved in a game that uses music heavily, and i feel that if roll20 subscribers (not free members like me) ask for it, since they are paying customers, roll20 should use the income to support their customers and their desires for site improvement. resounding YES vote from me.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
And I am sure there will be open source software they can use so they do not have to re-invent the wheel, but can still manage and improve their own sound libraries.
Yes. However, I also see room for linking or collaborative systems that allow things like Syrinscape to tie into the gaming system. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
Paul W. said: im not too certain how all of it works, but i am involved in a game that uses music heavily, and i feel that if roll20 subscribers (not free members like me) ask for it, since they are paying customers, roll20 should use the income to support their customers and their desires for site improvement. resounding YES vote from me. Thanks for the support Paul!
Mike W. said: +1 Thanks so much for your support Mike!
Paul said: I agree. I am not sure if Roll20 has the means of being a Fanburst 2.0, but I agree with the sentiment. I loved Fanburst as I had all the SFX for Star Trek TOS, other effects, and some cool ambient music.  IKR! Ambience is a must!
AquaAlex said: And I am sure there will be open source software they can use so they do not have to re-invent the wheel, but can still manage and improve their own sound libraries. Yes, exactly. Thanks so much for the support, Alex!
Chris said: Yes. However, I also see room for linking or collaborative systems that allow things like Syrinscape to tie into the gaming system.  Syrinscape would be a really useful resource as well!  Thank you so much for the support, Chris!
I fully support this!
Shael said: I fully support this! Thanks for the support, Shael!
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Umm, not to rain on a parade, but Nolan answered this already.  They looked into it and they can't legally set up something that shares music.  
Victor B. said: Umm, not to rain on a parade, but Nolan answered this already.  They looked into it and they can't legally set up something that shares music.   Is there a link to your source?
Just one more vote for the big 30!
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The original post, in which Roll20 announced Fanbust is going down and that they can't legally become a music sharing site, is no longer around.&nbsp; However, you should read through this thread,&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7206803/improving-audio-storage-and-performance" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7206803/improving-audio-storage-and-performance</a>, &nbsp;in which the legalities of music sharing are mentioned multiple times.&nbsp;&nbsp; keithcurtis said: It is my understanding that there is no searching across users, and that your music library will be similar to your art library. Roll20 mentioned this in earlier announcements, if not here. They did a lot of research to make sure they were on firm legal footing (which is why there is a listener cap within a single game). I believe this was also one of the compromises. Otherwise they would essentially become a music sharing site, with the attendant legal hurdles and license problems that entails.
Victor B. said: The original post, in which Roll20 announced Fanbust is going down and that they can't legally become a music sharing site, is no longer around.&nbsp; I think this post (<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7187895/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7187895/</a>) might be what you are thinking of. See Nolan's answer to question 2.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yep, that's exactly what I was looking for.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Funny thing? There is a browser extension that just allows adding of music from any URL on the net to roll 20. However despite it being easy roll 20 staff do not add this feature since forcing you to pay for pro means that they get all that sweet money despite it saving on space and money.&nbsp;