Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer Development Now Publicly Available

Edited 1548795394
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Charactermancer Sheet Developer Documentation Now Available The Charactermancer developer documentation is now available in the wiki . We provided a preview of the documentation in June when we released Charactermancer, and now that it's relatively stable (and documented!), we're opening it up for character sheet authors to use in their own sheets. This also means that Character Sheet authors may now check in character sheets that contain Charactermancer elements in the code. Please note that Charactermancer-powered sheets must still adhere to the Character Sheet Standards , and may not include copyrighted information  without proof of permission from the publisher. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Excited to see what the community does with this!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: Excited to see what the community does with this! I’m guessing not much: Do not infringe on intellectual property . Community sheets should not include character creation or advancement due to potential copyright restrictions. What constitutes “proof” that we have permission?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would guess you'd need written permission from the copyright holder. Many games have OGL content as well. IANAL. :)
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
A number of sheets are developed or commissioned by the publishers. In these cases a sheet author may submit a sheet that potentially contains copy written content when the publisher has granted permission. As Keith pointed out, there are also games with OGLs which allow some of their content to be used.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
But what constitutes "proof?" I'm not trying to be obstinate or negative, I really want to know. I have permission to use the Savage Worlds logo (along with a few other logos), but that permission is in an e-mail. Is that sufficient?  And if we obtain permission to do more with things like the Charactermancer, how do we submit that sheet along with the approval? I have no problems going to Shane Hensley and asking for permission to include things in a Charactermancer for the Savage Worlds Tabbed sheet...just not sure how to go about proving I have permission, etc.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Its a fair question. An email from the publisher that you could forward to us on request with a sheet submission should be sufficient for now. I'll pass along the question so we can get a streamlined process. 

Edited 1551718165
are we a step closer to setting an attribute via macro without an external API...  LOL  ...  ie, a broad way to: (Sheet button/macro/chat command) roll an attack from one sheet and apply damage to a different character sheet.  Don't take this post too serious guys its just a weird pet peeve of mine to see stuff like sheet to sheet combat interaction on other whiteboard roll playing web services (Not mentioning names) and here it all needs to inputted via a player changing his Info or the GM changing the info when a single code could make the attack, query whether it hits, and then apply damage if needed.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You'd need to raise a suggestion for that, but I don't think it will ever be introduced, unfortunately. 
GiGs said: You'd need to raise a suggestion for that, but I don't think it will ever be introduced, unfortunately.  I was thinking out loud about how maybe that the code in the  Charactermancer might have the potential to be manipulated to achieve such interactions but since I have not read the code, it was just wishful thinking. Like I said in my post " Don't take this post too serious guys"
Question on this actually. If we have purchased, say "Volo's Guide to Monsters" on Roll20, but wanted to import the Race options, or from other guides we have purchased on this site, would having purchased that book here provide sufficient proof that we have obtained their content legally? I have plenty of people in my game who want to use race options from Volo's but are unable too due to the lack of Charactermancer integration. I know a decent amount of coding and if I can make it easy for them to make these characters, that would be amazing.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You wouldn't be able to put the content from Volo's directly in the character sheet, that would be piracy. But I believe that the options from Volo's are being worked on to be compatible with the 5e charactermancer if they aren't already.
Jetan said: Question on this actually. If we have purchased, say "Volo's Guide to Monsters" on Roll20, but wanted to import the Race options, or from other guides we have purchased on this site, would having purchased that book here provide sufficient proof that we have obtained their content legally? I have plenty of people in my game who want to use race options from Volo's but are unable too due to the lack of Charactermancer integration. I know a decent amount of coding and if I can make it easy for them to make these characters, that would be amazing. Yes, I want to ask the same question. I bought Volo's myself and can't see e.g. a Goliath as a race option in the Charactermancer. What about Volo's so?
Volo's and Mord's in charactermancer or we riot. 
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I believe its been announced elsewhere on the forums that those books are being updated this year. Do not quote me on this as its outside of my area of the business. This post is announcing the Mancer available to sheet authors and is not specifically for issues related to the 5e D&D official sheet's mancers.
How does one make a character on roll20?
We need Volo's! Tabaxi and firbolgs for the win!