Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Sheet or Adjust Similar One?

Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm the sheet author for "Tales From the Loop". Recently, the publisher has released a new game/expansion called "Things From the Flood". TFtF is exactly the same mechanically, but uses some different skill names and character types. I'd like to make a sheet for TFtF, but I was wondering the best way to go about it. Originally, my plan was to put a toggle on the sheet that would allow you to switch between the two games rather than making an entirely new sheet. Is that a good option, or is it best just to make a new sheet? I'm concerned that people looking for the TFtF sheet wouldn't be able to find it unless there was a name change to indicate that both games were supported. Any insights as to the best way to handle this would be appreciated!

Edited 1552051776
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have wondered about this kind of thing too. There are a couple of games that already to this, having one sheet with a toggle for multiple games and i do wonder if they show up properly in the game selection screen. If they do, that would be the best thing obviously. If they don't I'd still be tempted to do it that way: make two identical copies of the sheet, with different defaults (one showing Tales from the Loop, the other showing Flood), and submit them both. This makes maintenance much easier for the future.  You could also add a third option in the toggle for User-defined, which includes input boxes for things people often change like skill names and character types, though obviously that's not necessary. (I did this for the trollbabe game which had a lot of homebrews where people mainly just changed the names of things.)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'd recommend a whole new sheet, I created a version of Diana's 3.5e DnD sheet for use with the The Black Company and while they are largely the same there were sufficient changes (skill names, equipment setup, affiliations etc) that a new sheet in the selection menu made the most sense. For visibility, as you've already pointed out, and to keep both sheets as clean and easy to use as possible, a new sheet is the way to go :)
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'll make a new sheet and submit it separately, both for visibility and ease of maintenance. I appreciate the help!
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I would recommend just doing 1 sheet as it is less to code and easier to maintain. Though your concern about users finding it is valid. That's an issue we've been considering.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The ease of maintenance is a good point, the 3.5e sheet uses a LOT of autocalc fields so having more than one version of it toggled for different versions of the same ruleset in the same sheet would quickly lead to attribute bloat, which as we know if the single biggest killer of games.  If the TftL sheet utilises sheet workers more than autocalc fields then a single sheet with multiple versions accessible via toggles could well be an option worth considering.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Re: Maintenance - The TFTL sheet is ridiculously simple. It's a very rules light system. It's one page and I think I've got two simple sheetworker scripts. It won't be much trouble to update. Cassie, is it possible to change the name of the sheet as it appears in the drop down? If I could change it to Tales From the Loop/Things From the Flood or something similar, I'd be happy to put a toggle on the sheet. If it just appears as Tales From the Loop, I'm not sure how users looking for Things From the Flood would find it.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Its really easy for me to change the names. Including a note in the Pull Request will help me remember. Using / might be really long in the drop down but we could think of something similar to help. Maybe acronym.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Fantastic! Thanks for the help!