Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I'm having a bear of a time aligning the grids.

I used a custom generator for a quick and dirty dungeon map that includes its own grid on the map. I've followed the steps in the alignment tutorial and to no avail. I use the Align to grid tool, draw the 3x3 section on the map's grid, and then let the roll20 resize the map. Then I use alt to drag around and resize the map as needed to make the grid fit. The problem I'm having is if I align the grid on the left side, the further to the right you go the greater it gets misaligned until its not even remotely close. No matter where I try to align to, something is going to be off. If i align using grid on the left, its off on the right. If I align to the right, its off on the left. If I align to grids in the center, its off on the left and right. It is immensely frustrating, and short of photoshopping out all the grids on the map, I'm down to just abandoning that map altogether. Any insight would be fanstastic.
I've had a little trouble with this in the past. It sounds as if the 3x3 grid section that you drew was slightly off. Did you try zooming in and then making the 3x3 on a place on the map that has good contrast/definition of that section? Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly.
Setting it to a drawing instead of a token will help you not have to use alt. Something I do is open maps up in a paint program like paint.net and resize it based on the number of squares. Roll20 use 70x70 pixel squares, so for example if the map is 8x10 squares I resize the image to 560x700 pixels then just drop it on the map layer works wonders.
tidbit: when using the 3x3 method, be sure to draw your lines *in the middle* of the gridwork on the image. If you draw your 3x3 on the inside or outside of the visible grid, it'll be off slightly.

Edited 1395430797
Gauss
Forum Champion
Have you followed the directions in the Alignment thread? Align to Grid is just the first step to alignment. After that you need to perform smaller size changes using the scalers (and holding down alt to prevent snapping) or the Set Dimensions tool. Regarding "Is Drawing" you can use that to prevent needing to hold down Alt BUT you need to turn it off afterwards or you run the risk of deleting your images if you ever clear your drawings.
Like Gauss says, follow the instructions found here: Gauss' Getting Grids Good Guide The thing is you have to go and adjust the size of the map itself a few times to get it accurate... the original Align to Grid just puts you in the ballpark. Start in a corner and work on the X axis first... if the map's grid is slightly to the right of R20's grid, reduce the map's size slightly. If it's to the left, increase it slightly. Repeat this process until you've got the thing as accurate as you need, then do the same thing on the Y axis. It takes a few minutes and a bit of effort but it works, and once you've got the process down it's completely intuitive and really quite easy. -Phnord