Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hear ye! Hear Ye! NEW MARKETPLACE RELEASE; INSTANT NPC CARDS!

Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
CLICK HERE FOR INSTANT NPC CARDS ! The Concept The idea is simple. Draw six cards, one from each category deck:  Appearance, Mannerisms, Abilities, Ideals, Bonds,  and  Flaws .  From those drawn cards are the basic concepts that will spark your imagination and from which you will build your NPC--whether to quickly whip up a simple shop keeper or a more detailed NPC. Thus, you can draw more than one card from each deck if you wish. You don't even have to strictly follow what the cards say; if they inspire alterations, then the cards have done their job!  By the way, these cards work well with  Instant Story Cards ! The Decks There are six decks, each representing a trait of the NPC you're going to create. Appearance As the name entails, this is a quick and simple description of how your NPC looks, generating the character's most interesting or noticeable physically feature(s).  Let's use an example: I drew the  Covered In Mud  card .  So, let's say that the adventuring party is traveling across a rain swept hill. They come upon a mud-splattered human woman. Since her most noticeable physical trait is "covered in mud," we'll say she's otherwise average looking. Mannerisms This next deck gives your NPC a quick, single personality trait, including any quirks she or he may have, that you can build from. Feel free to draw one or more cards, if you need to further flesh out your NPC.  In keeping with the example in the Appearance section above, I drew the  Gibbering  card. Okay, so far we have a gibbering, average looking, mud-splattered human woman. Abilities This deck determines a single physical ability, talent or skill that your NPC has. Proceeding with the example we've been using, I now draw the  Knows Magical Lore  card. Let's say that this gibbering, woman covered in mud has discovered a magical secret(s). Perhaps she had unearthed the secret while digging in the mud. And whatever it was reduced her to a gibbering wanderer. Ideals This deck will determine the NPC's chief belief or philosophy toward life. Now, in our example, I drew the  I Am Independent And Need No One's Help  card.  Perhaps that's why the party discovered her alone; she didn't think she'd need any assistance in finding her magical lore. Bonds These cards determine a circumstance, if any, that may create an obstacle for the NPC in attaining his or her goals and influence some of the choices they make. Continuing with our example, I drew the  Forced To Do Something Because My Loved One Is Held Hostage.  Wow! An interesting layer to this NPC's generation.  So, someone threatened to harm someone she cares for if she didn't retrieve that magical lore. Flaws We all have our imperfections and that's exactly what this last deck determines for your NPC. To finish our example, I drew  Has A Number Of Gambling Debts . Okay, here's the reason why this woman's loved one was taken hostage: she owes a money that she can't pay. So, the six cards just gave me the foundation to build an NPC. Now, all I have to do is flesh her out and give her a name.  As a bonus feature, I've added a  NPC-NAME GENERATOR  macro created from the included Rollable Tables (see the  Macro and Rollable Tables  handout). You can located them in the  Macros, Decks, Rollable Tables  tab of the sidebar .  I've already checked the  In Bar  box so that the macro button appears at the bottom left corner of your screen. I recommend making sure that box remains checked for ease of use in combination with the Instant NPC cards. So, just click on the Macro button and the results will appear in the Roll20 chat box in the side bar. I'll use that macro to instantly generate a name for my new NPC. I clicked the macro button and got  Enmarda  as a result. Great! So, here goes: Enmarda,   an adventurer with a gambling problem has run into money troubles. She borrowed money from a powerful and shady merchant, convinced that her luck at cards would take a fortunate turn. But it didn't and now Enmarda can't pay the merchant (her FLAW). Unforunately for our NPC, the merchant hired the local thieves guild to kidnap her brother. The merchant had learned of a book of magical secrets nearby. He told Enmarda that if she retrieved this book for him, he'd forgive her debts and free her brother. If she didn't, her brother would be killed (her BOND).  So, being of the "I work alone" mindset (her IDEAL), Enmarda set out alone to retrieve the book. She learned of its whereabouts (her ABILITY). It's the rainy season and she had to dig during a downpour, hence her mud splattered look (her APPEARANCE). But the book she discovered had a curse on it, which drove her insane and she now speaks only gibberish, a mix of random sentences and cryptic clues (her MANNERISM). All of that from simply drawing six cards! I could've drawn more from one or more of the decks, but I'm happy with the results. And it sounds like this NPC would be good for a module hook. Start Before you begin, make sure that you've read the  READ FIRST: How to use card decks in Roll20  handout and that all six decks are showing on the right side of your screen. It's recommended that you set your zoom level to 40%. That will show the entire game board with all six spaces where the the cards that are drawn are placed. Using the Decks Starting with the  Appearance  deck, mouse over the deck and draw a card and place it in the  Appearance  space found on the game board. You can also choose to deal a card to yourself, take it from your hand and place it in the space as well (see the  READ FIRST: How to use card decks in Roll20  handout). It doesn't matter which method you use. Do the same with the remaining five decks ( Appearance, Mannerisms, Abilities, Ideals, Bonds,  and  Flaws ) for their corresponding spaces. You can then either zoom into get a better look at the cards (using the slider bar on the right of your screen or the MAGNIFYING GLASS icon in the middle of the left side nav bar), or, making sure that you have the roll20 feature SELECT/MOVE selected (found on the top of the left side nav bar), click on a card and press Z on your keyboard.  That will cause the card to pop up on your screen in a larger size. That's it! Simple, right?  Now go have fun and make some NPCs!  CLICK HERE FOR  INSTANT NPC CARDS ! Instant Story Cards  ©  Patrick Von Raven 2019

Edited 1552505456
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sales on the deck’s first day!! Thank you all!!
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
For those who purchased these cards (and thank you again!!), feel free to share with us some of your results!!