Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fix the Fate Core Sheets

These are ugly and hard to navigate return to the original fucking sheets.
Agreed, my group just logged on to play a session and we can't figure out how to get to 6+ skills for the love of us, plus this new one doesn't even allow for additional stress tracks...

Edited 1552432422
Like Jesus Who thought this was a good idea?  Also, you need to manually add [EpicActive] [FantasticActive] [LegendaryActive] to Attributes and Abilities, MANUALLY mind you and type in "on" undercurrent. However, I've no idea how to add 3 and 4 Shift Boxes. 
Its shit,  please revert.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Fate Core sheets are community-created. If you would like a change or a recent change needs to be reverted, I would suggest that you find out who the author is (there are many sheets you might be referring to) and politely explain the problem and discuss a revision. Politely . Community authors are not paid and do this for love of the hobby.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
The name of the author isn't necessary on that list, if the haven't made changes previously.

Edited 1552438681
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
Hi everyone. I'm the one behind the recent changes to the sheet, and I'm sorry they got in your way. (Maybe I misjudged how many people used those hidden features.) I have a couple thoughts for making those features more accessible: Place a checkbox at the bottom, labeled "advanced mode" or something similar. Checking this would show all of the hidden elements. Place a small "+" button above the skill pyramid to show the high-level skills, and a similar "+" button for the third stress track. Handle the skill pyramid like in #2, but make the stress track repeating, so you can add as many as you need. (I feel like this is unnecessary, but obviously I play Fate differently than you do.) Why not just revert? Well, I'm still pretty sure most people don't need or use those features. Evil Hat's character sheet PDF doesn't include them. They've decided it's best to keep it simple for new players, and I agree. Edit: I'll also add some code to automatically show these things if you're using them. (Can't believe I forgot that the first time.) I do have one other question for Ali. You mentioned that it's "ugly"; could you elaborate? Do you dislike the fact that the skill boxes are arranged to look like a pyramid? Do you dislike that the roll buttons aren't always visible? Do you dislike the new "boosts and situation aspects" section? Do you dislike the free invoke checkboxes? ...pretty sure that's all the visual changes I made.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I looked at the github, and the most recent edits were by Joseph Cloutier (player-03 on github), if you want to message him and request a reversion. I dont use the sheet but looking at the changes, they do seem very drastic, and I can understand the ire. 
Thanks and to answer you I had an issue with the roll buttons mainly.
The Normal Sheet was honestly fine I liked how simple it was. I don't really mind some of the options you gave but if you wanted an elaboration, I liked the giant wall of boxes because it's easy to add stuff onto them. I hate that I have to manually input "FantasticActive" and put 'on'. Also, when you create a Stunt you can hardly see the description, I especially need to know that. 

Edited 1552439665
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
Huh. I actually considered the old roll buttons super ugly. They made the skill pyramid take up much more room than necessary. So is this a completely aesthetic issue or are you having trouble using them? Edit to respond to Forblaze: when you say "giant wall of boxes," are you talking about the big textboxes in the Stunts and Extras sections? You can manually expand the boxes now, but there's no way to make it remember how you had it; it'll just reset to the small size each time you open the sheet. I guess I could add a "toggle large/small textboxes" option, and you could choose between two different sizes. (And they'd still be adjustable if necessary.) You definitely won't have to type in "FantasticActive" anymore; I'll add a clickable toggle of some kind, plus some code that will automatically show it if you were using those boxes. Oh, and as for the stress boxes, that was another mistake on my part. If you create a new sheet and place Physique/Will in your pyramid, it'll show the correct number of boxes. But I forgot to write the code to handle existing sheets. Though I'm wondering if I should also just include an option to show them all. Like if I go with a single "advanced mode" checkbox, checking this box would show all the stress boxes and leave it to you to keep track of how many you're allowed to use.

Edited 1552440361
A little bit of both. I recently found that you can expand the "Stunts & Extra" Boxes (But the button is kind of small and in the corner) and every time you log in, you have to re-do it. Which is annoying and the instructions you gave on how to turn on skills higher then a +5 is kind of simplistic and I had to experiment with it a couple of times, I also have no idea on how I'm supposed to add bonuses to the rolls. With the normal sheet, it gave you the user input to add. The spaces between the Aspects are kind of big and look awkward as well. I really like "Boost & Situational Aspects" but (and this one is extremely aesthetic) but I liked adding my own consequences. Edit: I'm talking about the huge wall in the Skill Boxes and I had made my post after you had edited yours, sorry. Edit 2: I also found, under some weird circumstances. That by putting "FantasticActive" and turning it on you can also gain the full Pyramid, which really solves some problems.

Edited 1552440602
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
The aspects didn't have that much space between them before? That wasn't a conscious design choice on my part; it must have slipped in when I changed something else. I can definitely do something about it. Also, was there really an option to add consequences? I don't remember that at all. I mean, it would be easy to add, it just seems odd. Edit: oh, hey, there was. Guess I'll add that back in.
Ok so how do you add additional amounts to your roll? 
Yeah, honestly I suppose that's the main problem. I'm actually the GM in the game with "Prince Douchebag Ali" and we're both trying to find out how to add bonuses and we can pretty much deal from there. Some things irk us, but we can manage.
Hi everyone. I like giving my friends a good ribbing as much as anyone, but please be careful about tone on the forums. They could be interpreted as hostility.  Roll20 Community Code of Conduct Thanks! Prince Douchebag Ali said: These are ugly and hard to navigate return to the original fucking sheets. Papillon Myu said: Its shit,  please revert.
For the stress boxes, is that going to only be tied to where Physique and Will are in the pyramid? Some systems like Legends of Anglerre use Endurance for physical stress, and it can't translate to Physique considering that Might is its own separate skill in that one. Anglerre also uses a different stress track style that could have eight boxes apiece, and Mindjammer requires an extra stress track entirely for Systems stress on constructs (which, ironically, is why we don't use the Mindjammer sheet in our Mindjammer games, as whoever made it didn't account for artificial intelligence).
Diana R. said: For the stress boxes, is that going to only be tied to where Physique and Will are in the pyramid? Some systems like Legends of Anglerre use Endurance for physical stress, and it can't translate to Physique considering that Might is its own separate skill in that one. Anglerre also uses a different stress track style that could have eight boxes apiece, and Mindjammer requires an extra stress track entirely for Systems stress on constructs (which, ironically, is why we don't use the Mindjammer sheet in our Mindjammer games, as whoever made it didn't account for artificial intelligence). You can actually add your own new set of Stress boxes with the updated instructions and that should give you the desired effect.
Okay, thanks! :) Forblaze said: You can actually add your own new set of Stress boxes with the updated instructions and that should give you the desired effect.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thank you, Joseph C.
Hey, I'm having the same problem as Diana. The system I use can need up to 8 for both physical and mental stress each. The previous sheet was perfect for that with two tracks with up to 5 usable boxes each and the ability to add as many more as we wanted, in addition to certain characters in mindjammer needing up to 4 different tracks each
Ok so how do you add additional amounts to your roll? Right, that was another dropped feature I'll need to add back. Maybe turn it on by default and add a "quick rolls" checkbox. For the stress boxes, is that going to only be tied to where Physique and Will are in the pyramid? I can add a way to change the associated skills, but for the moment I think I'll just add a "always display all checkboxes" option. Anglerre also uses a different stress track style that could have eight boxes apiece Are these two sets of "1234" boxes, or one set of "12345678" boxes? Or do you just ignore the numbers? The previous sheet was perfect for that with two tracks with up to 5 usable boxes each and the ability to add as many more as we wanted The previous sheet had four boxes per track and exactly five stress tracks. Are you talking about an older version? In this case, I'm thinking I'll make stress tracks a repeating attribute, so that you can do the thing you described.

Edited 1552444844
For Anglerre, for both physical and mental, they are 12345678 max (worth one point of stress apiece), but we just used 1234 1234 since that was what was available. Either way could work as long as extra tracks are available and preferably without needing to be tied to a skill, considering the different things used in different systems. By the way, thank you for taking feedback into consideration. :)

Edited 1552467638
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
Ok, I've started working on some changes, visible in this test campaign . So far I did some formatting and added the modifier back into the rolls almost everything; see below. Check it out and give feedback! Specifically: if you're using a browser other than Firefox, do the free invoke checkboxes work? They're supposed to form a snug column alongside the aspect, and up to five show up if you check them all. Also, the excess space between aspects should be gone now. Edit: that question is no longer relevant. Also, the sheet now has most of the features I promised: Formatting improvements/fixes (mentioned above). Roll modifiers (mentioned above). A "high-level skills" checkbox that shows the high-level skills. The correct number of stress boxes will show up without any further interaction from you. ("Correct" assumes you're using Fate's default rules, meaning physique and will.) Unlimited stress tracks. These tracks have all four boxes visible no matter what. If you used the extra stress tracks in the previous sheet, they'll reappear. If you manually replaced a lost stress track, it'll appear twice and you'll have to delete one. Sorry about that. A "roll modifiers" checkbox, allowing you to choose between rolling quickly or adding something. Currently checked by default, but I'm considering changing that. Tested in Firefox and Chrome (well, Chromium). If you use another browser, let me know if something looks off. Edit 2: they usually accept new character sheets on Mondays. I don't know if there's a process for getting it approved faster.
That's basically everything that's needed to get functionality back to what we had before, except for the ability to freely add consequences. (also thanks for being so active in replying and making edits)
Update: the sheet now has a complete options menu! I'm pretty sure this addresses everything that's been mentioned in this thread.

Edited 1552676800
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Joseph C. said: Update: the sheet now has a complete options menu! You mean your current PR submitted( that will likely be approved and rolled out on Tuesday) has this, right? :)

Edited 1552692267
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
Right, yeah. It's also available in my test campaign .
Thanks man.
And one last change: you can now set the number of stress boxes for each extra stress track you make, either by setting a governing skill or by typing a number between 2 and 4.
Is there a option to enable the Poor and Terrible skills again?

Edited 1552804486
Joseph C.
Sheet Author
Not currently. I take it you actually use them? Edit: added.
Thank you, i and a couple of my pals would use them for certain campaigns like low powered ones.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Any chance you could add a rolltemplate, with the option to display results as an adjective rather than a number? A rolltemplate using something like this would work: {{#rollTotal() label 1}} <span class='sheet-roll-label'> {{#rollLess() roll -1}} Terrible  {{/rollLess() roll -1}} {{#rollTotal() roll -1}} Poor {{/rollTotal() roll -1}} {{#rollTotal() roll 0}} Mediocre {{/rollTotal() roll 0}} {{#rollTotal() roll 1}} Average {{/rollTotal() roll 1}} {{#rollTotal() roll 2}} Fair {{/rollTotal() roll 2}} {{#rollTotal() roll 3}} Good {{/rollTotal() roll 3}} {{#rollTotal() roll 4}} Great {{/rollTotal() roll 4}} {{#rollTotal() roll 5}} Superb {{/rollTotal() roll 5}} {{#rollTotal() roll 6}} Amazing {{/rollTotal() roll 6}} {{#rollTotal() roll 7}} Epic {{/rollTotal() roll 7}} {{#rollGreater() roll 7}} Legendary {{/rollGreater() roll 7}} </span class='sheet-roll-label'> {{/rollTotal() label 1}} Or maybe {{#label}} <span class='sheet-roll-label'> {{#rollLess() roll -1}} Terrible  {{/rollLess() roll -1}} {{#rollTotal() roll -1}} Poor {{/rollTotal() roll -1}} {{#rollTotal() roll 0}} Mediocre {{/rollTotal() roll 0}} {{#rollTotal() roll 1}} Average {{/rollTotal() roll 1}} {{#rollTotal() roll 2}} Fair {{/rollTotal() roll 2}} {{#rollTotal() roll 3}} Good {{/rollTotal() roll 3}} {{#rollTotal() roll 4}} Great {{/rollTotal() roll 4}} {{#rollTotal() roll 5}} Superb {{/rollTotal() roll 5}} {{#rollTotal() roll 6}} Amazing {{/rollTotal() roll 6}} {{#rollTotal() roll 7}} Epic {{/rollTotal() roll 7}} {{#rollGreater() roll 7}} Legendary {{/rollGreater() roll 7}} </span class='sheet-roll-label'> {{/label}} You could have a hidden input called label, with  a value 0 or 1, and get its value in the roll buttons value {{label=[[@{label}]]}} which would show or hide the adjective.  You'd obviously have to build the rest of the rolltemplate code. Maybe this would be a good thread to discuss what people would like it to look like?
Sorry, but I've already put a lot of time into this over the past week, and I'm about ready to be done with it. I'll still deal with bugs I created and restore features that I deleted, but I'd rather not take responsibility for any brand-new features.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings users, Please be respectful and polite when providing opinions on community character sheets. These sheets are made with the hard work of volunteers spending their time for the benefit of our community. Constructive criticism is useful for the development process of a sheet and such feedback is welcome.  Thank you, Cassie
MagooChris
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi All, Just thought I might let you all in on a project I'm currently working on: Contact me if you want more information, to help or want to request. Not sure how long this is going to take me, so don't expect it right away. Regards, MagooChris (@MagoChris)