Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

No roll to hit on firebolt when using charactermancer for sorcerers.

hey maybe I'm wrong but im sure you have to roll to hit with sorcerors when it comes to the cantrip firebolt. because I saw this on one of my players character sheets where it had no roll to hit. just instant damage and he has used the charactermancer to build his character. so i rebuilt a sorcerer to see if this behaviour still happened. and it does. we also found out that the macro/ roll to hit damage on chaos bolt is incorrect. it reads 2d8 but its 2d8 + 1d8. then it should build another 2 d8 to roll underneath so you can see if it bounces to another character and so you can choose your damage type. 
Hello Nick, Thank you for providing us this information. I have passed it along to our devs. In the meantime, you can also go into the character sheet and change the individual spells. If you are using the D&D 5e by Roll 20 sheet, simply select the cog icon for the spell. For the issue with Fire Bolt, simply select the Spell Attack option and change from None to Ranged. For Chaos Bolt, add 1d6 (damage is 2d8+1d6) to Damage 2 and add See Text.
yes i have done this. but i wanted to let you know. 
is there any way that the ammo counting with chaos bolt can be accommodated? because sometimes you have to reroll it. the ammo counter will always deduct for using it. 
i also discovered that none of the spells or attack rolls on a sorcerer has the crit values either. 
Hi Nick, I was able to reproduce this error on my end as well and it seems to be affecting a number of other attack roll spells as well. A ticket has been submitted to the dev team to get this resolved. Regarding Chaos Bolt: This is actually something we hope to improve upon in the future since we are unable to prompt for secondary damage at this time. But it is on our radar to make this spell easier to use!
my suggestion for chaos bolt is to auto generate a macro for 2 d8s which is how ive set it up for my player. so they can use both to determine the damage type or if it needs to change to a new target. the problem is because of the nature of chaos bolt. apis like ammo count can be a bit frustrating because you would have to constantly be adding a spell slot back if you get the same number and have to re roll to hit other targets. 
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Nick, I just fixed the Spell Attack not being set to Range. Let me know if you notice any other issues. Chaos Bolt is a special beast. Most of the 5e code is intended to be generic so it will work with all spells. Some of the special cases like Chaos Bolt need a little special handling one day hopefully. :) It may be something the companion API script could be updated to handled one day. Thanks, Cassie
Did you guys also fix the crit values Aswell? Because none of the spells or attack items have crit values either on the sorcerer. 
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Nick, I did not look into that as my ticket was just about the attack itself. :) Let me look into that. Thanks, Cassie
Thanks it's one of the other things I had to manually put into the char sheet. 
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Nick, I dropped Fire Bolt into my test game and it had a crit range & rolled crit damage. Is this different from what you are seeing? If so would you mind if I took a look at the game this is happening in and the character experiencing it? Sorry for all this trouble and thanks for helping me find these bugs. :) - Cassie
i just thought the crit value had to be the same dice rolled as the damage indicated on the spell. the default is 1d6 right? but the spell is a 1d10? 

Edited 1552671808
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ooooh. Good catch. Let me go look into that again! :) Edit:  In my game it looks like the Spell damage & Crit damage was 1d10. That little input shows a gray 1d6 as a placeholder but the actual die rolled was a d10. I think that input is there to allow you to change the die if you wanted. Thanks, Cassie
ok good it just states that the grey area is default to 1d6, maybe as a nice finishing touch make that grey out to whatever spell or attack is being used? just would look nicer and make more sense. 
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That's fair. I imagine the 1d6 was probably used as a placeholder for Rogues. You can roll some dice and hover over the critical damage to see the die it actually rolled. The placeholder is just showing you an example for entering your own dice. As small as this input is it is a bit hard to tell its a placeholder if you're not familiar with HTML. :) That's something I'll keep in mind if I revamp the area.
please que it :) i like contributing stuff.