Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How can I manage versions/updates?

How do other GMs manage version control on API scripts? I have two games and each has about two dozen active scripts, and I will certainly be adding more.  Some of these scripts have been updated a number of times since I loaded them, and some have moved from github to the one-click menu. I would like to be able to note versions and update as needed, but I'm confused as to how to do this.   For the one-click available scripts, I don't see how to tell which version I have.  Is there a way to ensure the latest version of a script other than eliminating and reloading?  Also, a couple of them are customized just enough that I don't want to upload new versions.  While an auto-update feature would be great, I would hate to lose those customizations.  (Many thanks to The Aaron for accommodating my choice of character sheets.) Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited 1552838002
I believe that if you use One-Click APIs, they will automatically update to the latest accepted/stable version when it is loaded by Roll20 staff. Note that this might not be the absolute latest version of a script. If you click the API script's tab, the version number might be indicated. For many you can even revert to an older version from a dropdown list. For some API scripts I want to test between two versions, I manually load them and put the version number in the Name field (e.g., Ammo037, Ammo038). I can disable one and enable the other to test between versions, easily reverting back if I find problems. For scripts that I modify, I do a similar thing, but have the unmodified version and my modified version with "mod" appended (e.g., Ammo038 and Ammo038mod). It is important to note that if you follow this technique, you must be careful to only enable one version of the same script at a time; wonkiness may ensue otherwise.
Rabulias, thanks for the info, some good tips.  I will use the version addition to the name in the future.  My question was sparked in part by the appearance of the  api-crash-handler script , which I would like to add, but it will require emptying all APIs and reloading.  As long as I risk regrowing all my scripts from the ground up, I may as well update and implement version control. Question about the one-click updates:  If I have a custom version of an API that subsequently gets added to the one-click library, or if I change the name on something already a one-click, will a name change protect/prevent it from updating? In other works, does one-click recognition for update rely on the name field that I fill, or on something else in the script itself?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
1-click only manages scripts installed via the 1-click.  If you have manually added a script, or have imported a script from 1-click (the equivalent of manually loading it at the current version), it will not modify what you have installed. Side note, you can probably modify the first script tab you have installed into the start for api-crash-handler and just append the replaced script to the end before adding the end part of api-crash-handler.  Might be much less effort. =D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Side note, you can probably modify the first script tab you have installed into the start for api-crash-handler and just append the replaced script to the end before adding the end part of api-crash-handler.  Might be much less effort. =D That's... briliiant. If the first script is a one-click, can you click on "Save Script" to convert it to manual?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Probably?
Clicking on Save Script does not convert a One-Click API script to manual for me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
So I'd need to replace any one-clicks* before my first manual install. That's not so bad. *Objection your honor. Adding said script takes a minimum of two clicks. -- Sustained, jury will disregard.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Import is the option to get a manual copy. 
Thanks to all!  This is great!  I'll try adding the crash handler on my test campaign using The Aaron's ingenious trick, and if it works, I'll get my games updated and safeguarded.