Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Creating a Character without a Sheet

I'm using characters in my campaign to track things that aren't NPCs or PCs, like ships and the party's shared XP/Loot. These things have attributes and macros, but don't need a full character sheet. Now, I can just delete or ignore all the extra attributes that the character sheet adds if I need to, but it'd be really useful to be able to either clear all the attributes from a character, or, better still, create a character that doesn't have a sheet. Is this possible?
1553295242
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Can't you just ignore the Character Sheet tab and only use the attributes in the "Attributes & Abilities"?
Yes, but there's about a hundred extraneous attributes that the character sheet creates. New attributes go to the bottom, and if I don't want to scroll all the way down to find them, I have to drag them all the way to the top individually. It's not that it's impossible to do the way it's set up now, it's just annoying and I was hoping someone might have a suggestion to make it less laborious 
1553296734

Edited 1553296777
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As Andreas says, you dont need to use a character sheet. in campaign settings, you can set the character sheet to None, and you will have just two tabs: Bio, and Attributes & Abilities. You can set up static values in the Attributes, and calculated values and rolls under Abilities. Honestly, its not very pretty, and clunky if you have a lot of stats to track, but it is simple to set up and straightforward to use. Alternatively, as a Pro user, you could make your own custom sheet which has just the stats you need on it, but honestly this is less flexible and a lot more work than just using the A&A tab. Edit: posted too slowly!
1553296838
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Can't you just delete the ones the character sheet generates?  Even if it remakes them the next time you open the sheet, all your custom ones should be on top.  It is only a single click to delete one after all, and you can just keep clicking on the "x" for the top one until they all run out.
1553296981
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Spatchcock said: Yes, but there's about a hundred extraneous attributes that the character sheet creates. New attributes go to the bottom, and if I don't want to scroll all the way down to find them, I have to drag them all the way to the top individually. It's not that it's impossible to do the way it's set up now, it's just annoying and I was hoping someone might have a suggestion to make it less laborious  If you're using an existing sheet, there's no easy way around this. You could use macros with an API script like ChatSetAttr in combination with the Chat Menu trick to display and manage a small number of attributes needed for ships and loot. You could have a macro that displays the current values of the stats, with a button next to each one prompting you to change its value.
@Kraynic Actually, I've started just renaming the top ones to what I want. It's way quicker than deleting all three thousand attributes @GiGs I know I don't need to use the character sheet, but I'm using it for the things that ARE PCs or NPCs in the campaign. What I'd really like to be able to do is toggle the sheet for individual characters, but that doesn't seem to be possible
@GiGs Too quick for me! Yeah, that's actually a pretty good idea, I'll give that a shot. It might makes things a little less painful
1553297481
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I do use that method for xp and other matters in one of my campaigns. It has eased my pain a bit :).
Yeah that's the big thing I'm using it for, that and Plunder and Disrepute, we're playing Skulls and Shackles. Now, this might be a silly question, but how on earth do I set up an ability to actually change an attribute?
1553297811
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You cant do it without an API script. I recommended ChatSetAttr above. You can use it to set values, replacing the existing score, or to mod abilities- adding or subtracting from the current score. It's one of two scripts (the other being tokenMod) that I think is indispensable for Pro users.
1553297836

Edited 1553297901
...Nevermind, just re-read your post and realized you already gave me the name of the API script. Thanks! EDIT : Perfect timing
1553307064
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GiGs said: You cant do it without an API script. I recommended ChatSetAttr above. You can use it to set values, replacing the existing score, or to mod abilities- adding or subtracting from the current score. It's one of two scripts (the other being tokenMod) that I think is indispensable for Pro users. That is the dynamic duo of API scripts. They are toolboxes that allow poor code-illiterate players like me to build really cool toys.
Yep, I had tokenMod, but I'd missed ChatSetAttr. It's exactly what I needed for... quite a few things