Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Uploading animations doesn't seem to work

For the past few days, I've had trouble trying to upload animations. Doesn't matter whether I try Chrome or Firefox (both latest versions), uploading an animation of any size doesn't work. The progress bar is stuck and the list doesn't update. If I open another tab and sign in, the animation might show on the list, but dragging it to the map doesn't activate it. I recently bought an animation pack from the marketplace, and so far I've got 0 animations to upload / work properly. Is there a underlying bug when it comes to uploading animations? A fix would be appreciated.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
If you bought them from Roll20, you shouldn't need to upload them - they should be in your Premium Assets art library in game already.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library#Premium_Assets_.26_My_Library" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library#Premium_Assets_.26_My_Library</a> As to uploading, it can take a very long time to upload animation files - I've had it take literal hours for mine to upload. You can tell if it has finished by opening the console log in your browser and watching for the various size creation notifications. I'm not looking at it directly right now, but I think the final stage is the 512x512 upload - that is usually the end of the process.
Fair enough, found the premium asset folder. Although that still doesn't make sense why 2.0 mb animation file is still not uploaded after 45 mins. Anyways, thanks for the tip. At least I'm able to use the marketplace purchase now.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As I understand the process, it's not just uploading, there is some sort of conversion and optimization going on.

Edited 1553721172
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Memm said: Although that still doesn't make sense why 2.0 mb animation file is still not uploaded after 45 mins. keithcurtis said: As I understand the process, it's not just uploading, there is some sort of conversion and optimization going on. That is my understanding too Keith. I also agree with the sentiment of the upload time - it would be great for the the conversion and optimization to happen separate from the upload, letting it perhaps happen as some sort of background task. I'm sure that also would be complex (for instance, if you could quickly upload lots of big animation files that then have to process, a malicious user could create a sort of attack against the system by trying to overload resources) and require queue and notification systems. I'm hoping this is something Roll20 can address in future updates.
Is it faster if I upload a webm file than an mp4? I can convert locally to test, but an mp4 &lt; 5MB was never uploading (as far as I could see) so I swapped it down to a tiny webm file in hopes that would minimize any transcoding (that file is 500KB).&nbsp; Still stuck uploading...
Mark said: Is it faster if I upload a webm file than an mp4? I can convert locally to test, but an mp4 &lt; 5MB was never uploading (as far as I could see) so I swapped it down to a tiny webm file in hopes that would minimize any transcoding (that file is 500KB).&nbsp; Still stuck uploading... Yeah, I've noticed that uploading any animation file gets stuck in the upload process. However, opening the game in another tab might show the file uploaded, but dragging it over to map usually doesn't do anything.