Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e D&D by Roll20 - Removal of deprecated NPC Spell's section

Edited 1554817609
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings friends, I am looking to remove the old deprecated NPC spell's section from the 5e D&D by Roll20  character sheet. I've included a picture below of this section which was marked as no longer supported back in 2017. If you still need to migrate spells you may be happy to know  that NPC spells now populate on drag & drop for SRD , MM , PHB , MoTF , and Volo's . If your monsters come from these expansions you can drag in new ones to fill out the new spells section. Data reviews & updates for the other Compendium expansions are in progress. If the removal of this section would be a hardship for you please reply below and let me know any challenges you have faced in migrating your spells. This will help me plan accordingly and investigate potentially options to make this transition easier for users effected by this code's removal. The current scheduled removal is currently  19 April 2019  but this may be delayed based on user feedback. Thanks, Cassie
Hi, Will there be an upcoming patch for adventure/campaign module owners the previous note was stating such. I have the Storm King Thunder's roll20 module which I am starting to run again for my players. If all the spells disappear on their own for the pre-created module NPC's on April 19, that would be very problematic in running the campaign so I hope there is an update planned as I would expect this to be done for the paid content. Thanks, Lam
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings, The modules actually were patched approximate a year ago. I just created a new SKT game and it uses the new spell slots. My older SKT game which is nearly two years old still has the old spells. Oddly the patch may not have updated them. I will follow up on with our Production team to see if there is a way to update the older modules that have already been create. Thank for the feedback, Cassie
So will we be getting a refund on modules we bought from Roll20 to avoid having to populate these tokens manually in the first place, especially since I am using transmogrifier to put these all into folders to use on other games? Sort of a huge headache to go find every single token among hundreds to even figure out which ones I have to update, let alone the hassle of updating the tokens. 
Hi, I have just started a SKT Campaign and only recently bought the module for Roll 20. From what you said in response to Iambots the module was just updated. This doesn't seem to be the case for my copy of SKT. I don't know exactly why this is the case for me so I came here. Thanks for the help, Ed. p.s. if it helps, I bought SKT on March 5, 2019
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Nathan, This post is to gauge the hardship people would have with the removal of this section. With the feedback so far the removal will likely be delayed in order for me to write a script that will automatically migrate over spells as much as is possible.  Greetings Ed, Thanks for the feedback! That's an interesting observation that a newly purchased module still uses the old spells despite the patch done last year. I followup with our module team to discover more on the way we patch older modules. :) Thanks, Cassie
Hello, I'm in the same boat as the others, I created a Tomb of Annihilation paid module game long ago and have already customised it a lot, so it would be annoying to create another one and start from scratch in order to have functionning npc spell sheets (and manually adding spells to npcs in the current game would be equally as annoying considering the number of them). If feasible, it would be great to have the current game updated ! Thanks, Jerome
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hey Syless, Thanks for the feedback! I'll go ahead and push back my date to remove this section so I can test adding a script to move the spells for people. :) I appreciate the help. - Cassie
I came here to post the same concern running CoS. My players have hardly reached areas beyond the first dungeon and transferring spells for the myriad of NPCs would be a nightmare. Any delay and or automatic migration would be greatly appreciated. 
I'm in the same boat as Zerp B. Having to manually "drag-and-drop" every single spell for the vast amount of tokens I have... It just seems like a lot. I bought the CoS module so all of that was done for me. And now that's going to be removed? It's not that it's annoying or a lot of work, but it just seems shocking to expect the people who pay for all this content to go through this much work. DM'ing is already a part-time job as it is, and we all know that Roll20 isn't the smoothest of programs. Also, I tried finding literature in the forums that gave a tutorial on the "drag-and-drop" method, but have been unsuccessful. Could you point me to it? I may be just totally behind, is there some new fancy spell section that I don't know about? I got quite used to (and good at) using the system that was in place before. All this being said, I love progress and I love Roll20 for allowing my friends and I to connect even though we are so far away from each other. I'm trying really hard not to be a Negative Nancy, but it's hard not to given the circumstance. I really don't want to delay our games because I need extra time to do an overhaul of fixes!
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings, Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have delayed this removal until I can write a script to migrate spell lists. In the mean time I would highly recommend moving spells as needed to the new section. The old spell list was deprecated about 2 years and lacks the updates the newer section has. Spell Migration: To migrate your spells there are two ways to do this fast. The first is to drag & drop in a new monster from the compendium and the second is to drag & drop just the spells. Drag and Drop the monsters . If you own the Monster Manual, you can search the Compendium for the spellcasting monster and simply drag in a copy of this monster onto the VTT. Its spells should automatically populate. If you already have that monster in game you may need to delete the current character sheet for this monster or rename. Drag and Drop the spells. On the Monster's character sheet go to the options cog to open the options and check the box for Spellcasting NPC  . Then use the in app Compendium to search for a spell such as Fireball. You can simply drag and drop the Fireball spell from the Compendium onto the Monster's character sheet.