Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[DnD 3.5 Diana P Character Sheet] Continuing issue with ability command buttons

Hello, I was told that there would be an update allowing ability command buttons referencing repeating spells to function as intended, but after 2+ months nothing appears to have changed. For reference, this is the command I am using: /w player [Test](~player|@{repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12}) The spell is directly output, instead of a button. For reference, the previous thread addresing this issue: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7100546/dnd-3-dot-5-diana-p-character-sheet-issue-with-ability-command-buttons/?pageforid=7100850#post-7100850" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7100546/dnd-3-dot-5-diana-p-character-sheet-issue-with-ability-command-buttons/?pageforid=7100850#post-7100850</a>
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I did submit the fix on Jan 7, 2019 as promised.&nbsp; And when I test it in my campaign, it works as expected.&nbsp; The syntax that is expected with an ability command button is: /w @{selected|Character_name} [Test](~@{selected|Character_name}|repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12) or /w player [Test](~player|repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12) ie you don't need the @{ } as that tells it to look in an attribute instead of an ability and these are no longer attributes.&nbsp; That said, your syntax works for me as well; it just informs me that the ability was not found, but then gives me the button which works correctly when I run it. The character sheet should have updated for you, but perhaps as a test, set your character sheet template to none, save it, and then set it back to the D&amp;D3.5 sheet to verify that you have the most current sheet in play?&nbsp; (I'm punting on this as I do not know why it would work for me in a campaign pointing at the public sheet, but not for you.)&nbsp; If it still continues to not function, you may need to put in a bug report for your game so the devs can figure out what is happening as I don't know what else to try.
Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I tried removing the @{}, which does allow it to be output as a button. However, the button outputs: No ability was found for %{player|repeating_spells12_spellmacro12} I attempted to switch the character sheet templates as you mentioned, but it seems to have had no effect whatsoever.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Trognar said: Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I tried removing the @{}, which does allow it to be output as a button. However, the button outputs: No ability was found for %{player|repeating_spells12_spellmacro12} I attempted to switch the character sheet templates as you mentioned, but it seems to have had no effect whatsoever. it looks like you may be missing the index in that call; i would expect to see something like No ability was found for %{player|repeating_spells12_$0_spellmacro12} one other possibility:&nbsp; try a different name for your test character instead of player (just in case it's restricted somehow)?&nbsp; I've been just replacing "player" with a character name for my testing.
I have been using a specific character, just changing it to "player" for this post. Could you elaborate more on the missing index?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
the index is the $0 in /w player [Test](~player|repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12)&nbsp; It tells Roll20 which row of the repeating section to look in.&nbsp; It starts at 0 for the first row, is 1 for the 2nd row, etc.&nbsp; This makes it a relative index. Basically the repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12 name is an address.&nbsp; Look in a repeating section (repeating_).&nbsp; The section to look in is spells12 (the right side (2) of the level 1 spells area (spells1).&nbsp; The row to look at is row 0 ($0) and the value on that row to look in is spellcast12 or the value of the rollbutton for that row/section combo. You can also specify the index by looking in the html with that character sheet open and finding that row and getting the actual identifier for the row but that is character specific (row 1 on Jim will not be the same as row 1 on Bob) and will look something like -KC0zCLum1Rq3V5wssyE .&nbsp; More in the wiki on <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Referencing_Repeating_Attributes" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Referencing_Repeating_Attributes</a> under RowId&nbsp; (I don't provide that because I haven't figured out how to get that information on the sheet.). (I'm going to be afk for a couple hours so it may be awhile before I can respond further.)
Ah, I yes. I understand what you mean. I think I will try submitting a bug report given that the command does still contain the index and outputs the full command: ~player|repeating_spells12_$0_spellcast12 in chat while stating that: No ability was found for %{player|repeating_spells12_spellmacro12 Unless you have some sort of idea when you return.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Trognar can you try making a new character, and testing if the macro works for that character. If this works, it could be that you have some faulty data in your existing character. If that's the case, you might have to delete the existing spells and recreate them.

Edited 1554588228
GiGs, I tried making a new character using this macro: [Test](~test|repeating_spells12_$0_spellmacro12) and it outputs:
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
ah, well, it was worth a try. I'm not familiar with the character sheet so cant be of much more help.
Me either

Edited 1554591752
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Ah Ha! I just saw one more thing to try... make sure to use spellcast instead of spellmacro.&nbsp; spellcast is the name of the roll button and that is what the ability command buttons reference.&nbsp; the content of spellcast is @{spellmacro} but you can't call spellmacro directly with the ~spellmacro bit.&nbsp; (cause at this point, I don't know which one we are referencing anymore) edit: This would be in relation to image you posted to GiGs:&nbsp; it looks like you tried calling spellmacro in your button.
Solved. Thank you so much. For some reason, I want to say I was told to use spellmacro, but this works.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
excellent!&nbsp; so glad it's working now!