Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hear Ye! Hear ye! NEW MARKET RELEASE: Instant Chase Cards! Build a pursuit quickly!

Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Need to Create An Chase Fast? No problem! Here's Your Solution! Instant Chase Cards The Concept The idea is simple. Draw six cards from the appropriate deck for the terrain you've selected:  Forest, Mountain,  or  Urban .  From those drawn cards are the chase events that will determine the flow and outcome of your pursuit.  By the way, these cards work well with  Instant Story Cards ! The Decks There are three decks, each containing a terrain chase challenge or event. You will find some duplicates of certain cards in each deck. This is intentional as that particular challenge is likely to come up more than once, such as crowded streets in a city chase or fallen logs in a forest pursuit. Forest As the name entails, you will use this for a chase that is set in a forest. Everything from balancing across deadfalls to river crossings. Mountains This next deck gives you challenges appropriate to mountains and hills, from cliffs to narrow ledges. Urban These cards help you build an exciting city chase, from cart races to rooftop runs.  Start Before you begin, make sure that you've read the  READ FIRST: How to use card decks in Roll20  handout and that all six decks are showing on the right side of your screen. It's recommended that you set your zoom level to 40%. That will show the entire game board with all six spaces where the the cards that are drawn are placed. Using the Decks First, choose the terrain where your chase is to take place. Then determine the starting distance between the pursuer(s) and the pursued. On the game board are six  Chase Event Boxes .  Mouse over the deck and draw a card and place it a chase event box, starting with number one. You can also choose to deal a card to yourself, take it from your hand and place it in the box as well (see the  READ FIRST: How to use card decks in Roll20  handout). It doesn't matter which method you use. Repeat until you have drawn and placed six  Chase Event  terrain cards. You can then either zoom into get a better look at the cards (using the slider bar on the right of your screen or the MAGNIFYING GLASS icon in the middle of the left side nav bar), or, making sure that you have the Roll20 feature SELECT/MOVE selected (found on the top of the left side nav bar), click on a card and press Z on your keyboard.  That will cause the card to pop up on your screen in a larger size. Follow the chase instructions found on each card. For each check failed by those involved in the chase, subtract the penalty distance. Do this until the pursued escapes or is caught. You don't have to stop with the sixth  Chase Event  card; simply draw more and start from the  Chase Event 1  box again, placing the new card over the old one. The DC--and check type--set by a card is suggestive; of course, as GM, you may alter the DC and check type as you see fit. You can choose to require individual checks or group checks made by both sides. Let's use an example of an Urban Chase (my favorite): I drew the following six cards:   Market Place! Startled Horses! Caravan Crossing! Crowded Street! None (contested athletics check instead)!  and finally,  Rooftop Run! So, the six cards just gave me the events and challenges of my chase. Let's put it together now. Here goes: We've already decided on an urban chase. I'll set the starting chase distance at 10' between the pursuers and the pursued.  In this example, I've decide that one player character is the pursuer.  The player character is in a city marketplace when she discovers an enemy NPC that her party has been searching for. The NPC notices her and flees. The chase is on! The  Marketplace!  card's challenge is to leap over a vendor's cart. So, we'll say the NPC was penned in at a market stall when the player character found him. Both characters must succeed on an Acrobatics check with a DC 14 in order to successfully leap over the vendor's cart. The NPC makes his check and leaps over the cart, running toward the next chase event.  The player character fails her check. The penalty for failure listed on the card is "Lose 15' Distance". The player character is now 25' behind the NPC. The  Startled Horses!  card says that upon landing on the other side of the vendor's cart, the NPC startled some tethered horses. The animals rear up.  The NPC must give the flailing hooves a wide berth. In doing so, the card grants an automatic penalty of "Lose 5' Distance".  And I'll rule that the horses have calmed when the the player character has gained the other side of the vendor's cart and thus suffers no distance penalty. So, now the distance between the player character and the NPC is down to 20'. The  Caravan Crossing!  card throws a passing caravan that crosses the path of the chase.  Both the NPC and the player character must hop onto and run across the wagons. To do so, both must succeed on an Acrobatics check DC 13. The NPC succeeds! But so does the player character. The distance between the player character and the NPC remains at 20'.  The  Crowded Street!  card has both of them burst onto a teeming street. They must push their way through the throng by making a successful Athletics check DC 12. The player character makes it, strong arming her way through, losing no distance.  Unfortunately, the NPC also succeeds, so the distance between the player character and the NPC is still 20'. The  None!  card says that the player character and the NPC both have burst through the crowd and currently there are no obstacles. So she and the NPC simply make a contested Athletics check as they both run down the next street.  The player character wins. The card awards a distance gain of 10'. There is now but 10' of distance between the player character and her quarry. She's breathing down his neck! So, in desperation, the NPC runs into a house, up the stairs and climbs out onto the roof. That's where the  Rooftop Run!  card comes into play. The chase now involves balancing across the roof tops and leaping  from roof to roof. The card calls for a successful Acrobatics check DC 12. The player character succeeds but the NPC fails! The penalty is either the NPC falls from the roof or falls through a weak section of the roof. I choose to have him fall through the roof.  Per the card, the NPC loses 15' of distance. There was only 10' between the player character and the NPC, so the chase ends with the player character leaping down through the hole, capturing her quarry! An exciting, detailed chase scene  from simply drawing six cards! Quick and easy!  Now go have fun and create some chases!
David Hemenway
Pro
Marketplace Creator
This is very clever. Well done!
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thank you very much, sir!
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
My many thanks to the first customers of my new cards set!!! This humble independent merchant thanks you from the bottom of my Charisma score!!!
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Update: The next set will feature more terrain options! Again, thank you for your support! May you have happy gaming and good rolls!