Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Native chat not working on MacBookPro, any browser

We've tried to get the native chat service to work on two different occasions with no luck. On out last attempt one of the two parties was able to connect. He was using OS 10.7 or possibly 8, in Chome. But I'm on OSX Mavericks and I could not get the browser (neither Firefox nor Safari) to recognize my display camera. It looked like it was seeing the microphone, but the other party couldn't hear me. So, long story short — we're having to use a separate Google Hangout for video chat. Would really like to see this fixed so we don't have to juggle another application. But it's not an emergency. Just wanted you guys to know. Keep up the great work. M.
Malcolm W., this is the basic TokBox WebRTC demo: <a href="http://tokbox.com/opentok/quick-start/demo.html" rel="nofollow">http://tokbox.com/opentok/quick-start/demo.html</a> Does that work for you at all?
Thanks, Sarah. It works in Firefox, but not Chrome — I just got a spinning throbber and the thing never loaded. Still, it would not work in Firefox while I was in Roll20, last time I tried (about a week ago). But I'll try again on our next session. Best, M.
You probably have third party cookies blocked and need to whitelist tokbox. Or you didn't grant access to tokbox to see your camera. Check in the address bar... top left or top right and look for a little video camera icon. Click on that if it is there.
Huh. Weird. You're right, HB — on the demo page Sarah posted I did indeed fail to see that stuff in the address bar. I went and allowed access and my video and microphone both appeared. However, I do recall in the Roll20 session trying to get Chrome to accept my camera and mic and — as I recall the browser did offer my Diplay's camera, but not the microphone. To make a long story short, both Chrome and Firefox seem to recognize my Didplays camera and mic okay. However, I couldn't get either browser to perform like this in the Roll20 environment. I will try again on our next session, now that I've had this success, at least. Thanks to both of you! M.