Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Create a spell book?

Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
I'm playing Savage Worlds which has fewer than 60 different basic spells. If I wanted to copy/paste in the text from the rule book for spells and edges, where do you think it should go? I can think of four possibilities: Each player's character sheet -- I copy what they need in a "spell description" field for each spell A player-macros character sheet -- Add player macros, a spell book, to look up the text from the character sheet named "spell definitions". Handouts -- This would let me add pictures and formatting, but otherwise seems like a lot of handouts. A deck of cards -- Let players take the cards they need into their hand. This is a lot of graphics and might eat up my storage space. How are other people tackling this successfully?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think a player macro sheet would be best, given the problem and your resources. Make liberal use of "selected" in your macros to ensure that they are looking up values from your players, and not the macro sheet. It might be worthwhile to put the macros into a player macros sheet, but create the player Abilities with a spreadsheet, built to parse commands. That way you can leave the heavy lifting of formatting to the spreadsheet: just check off the spells the player needs access to. Finally, the resulting list of spells should be added as a Chat Menu in the Ability section of the sheet. This would greatly simplify life for the player. They could click a spells token macro button and choose their spell from the resulting list in chat. There are some examples of spreadsheets that do this sort of thing at the end of the index post in the Stupid Tricks thread. They are designed to parse API script calls but should give you some ideas how to use them to generate macro code.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Depending on how verbose the spell descriptions are, you may wish to do both macros and handouts.  Do all that is absolutely required for in-combat info within the macro, and have the full descriptions in the handout.  If you do the handouts, I recommend having a spell list handout that has a link to each individual spell, archiving the individual spell handouts, and putting a link to the spell list (and/or every individual spell they know) in the Bio & Info tab of the character sheet of anyone who needs quick access.  This will help keep journal clutter down.
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
Thanks -- I tested about 6 spells in one macro sheet, and I like the way it's organized, but I don't like the format of the output. Some spell descriptions are just too verbose. I think I'll be doing a combination of the Chat Menu with links to Journal entries. I need just a little more experimentation, then I'll post the result here.