Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Initiative Macro Broken

In the middle of my game today all of the sudden my Initiative macro stopped working. %{selected|initiative} Any suggestions?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some questions: 1) Is this using the Roll20 5e sheet, or something else? Different sheets use different syntax. 2) Are all initiative macros failing, or just for this character? 3) Are other rolls in the chat working?

Edited 1556507444
keithcurtis said: Some questions: 1) Is this using the Roll20 5e sheet, or something else? Different sheets use different syntax. 2) Are all initiative macros failing, or just for this character? 3) Are other rolls in the chat working? 1) 5e OGL 2) All PCs fail to roll it just posts the macro to chat, NPCs work fine 3) Other Macros seem to be working
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well shoot. That rules out most easy solutions. I'm stumped. If someone more familiar with the quirks of the sheet doesn't chime in, you might need to make this into a bug report.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We have this in my game sometimes... if a player doesn't have their token selected when running the macro (from their sheet or a macro bar macro) it will print to chat but not add it to the turn order. Depending on how you are using the macro it could  be that?!
Ziechael said: We have this in my game sometimes... if a player doesn't have their token selected when running the macro (from their sheet or a macro bar macro) it will print to chat but not add it to the turn order. Depending on how you are using the macro it could  be that?! Very odd I am using it as a Token Action, so the token has to be selected.

Edited 1556540251
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That is odd, I'm unable to reproduce the behaviour... does it work in a new test game as expected? And just in case something weird has happened, check for whitespace or encoded spaces before the macro... sometimes copy/paste can bring across unwanted formatting that breaks things. This may need moving to the Bugs Forum for a Dev investigation :/
Ziechael said: That is odd, I'm unable to reproduce the behaviour... does it work in a new test game as expected? And just in case something weird has happened, check for whitespace or encoded spaces before the macro... sometimes copy/paste can bring across unwanted formatting that breaks things. This may need moving to the Bugs Forum for a Dev investigation :/ Yea I checked for spaces, no go there. The macro works fine in my other games just this one game does not work. I even tried copying that game and the copy still had the error. The Campaign is called Slash & Smash Sunday if a Dev wants to take a look at it.

Edited 1556542391
Anthony V. said: Ziechael said: We have this in my game sometimes... if a player doesn't have their token selected when running the macro (from their sheet or a macro bar macro) it will print to chat but not add it to the turn order. Depending on how you are using the macro it could  be that?! Very odd I am using it as a Token Action, so the token has to be selected. I have made this mistake myself, did you name the token action Initiative? Change the name to something else. That will fix it for you.

Edited 1556542756
Ed S. said: Anthony V. said: Ziechael said: We have this in my game sometimes... if a player doesn't have their token selected when running the macro (from their sheet or a macro bar macro) it will print to chat but not add it to the turn order. Depending on how you are using the macro it could  be that?! Very odd I am using it as a Token Action, so the token has to be selected. I have made this mistake myself, did you name the token action Initiative? Change the name to something else. That will fix it for you. Lol wow that fixed it! Thank you!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nice catch Ed, I remember the 3.5e sheet had that issue given the auto-generation of an initiative token action from the sheet itself... didn't even think the 5e one would suffer from it... that's 2 things I've learned today... what a day!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kudos to Ed. That was a weird one.
I only know because I had made that mistake myself. The token action ends up calling itself instead of the sheet button because they have the same name.