Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster's Manual and Tokens

Hello.  I just bought the Monster's Manual.  I may be missing something obvious but it doesn't seem to auto-add monster tokens to my library.  It seems I have to save the token image locally then upload it back onto Roll20, which is just tedious extra step that seems wholly unnecessary.  Anyone know a workaround or scold me for missing something obvious here? Thank you.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is likely the issue: It will not change tokens already in your journal tab, to prevent over-writing any custom changes. If you already have a goblin in your library, drawing the MM goblin will merely place your library copy. You will need to delete the goblin previously saved to your journal tab, and then draw a goblin from the MM. Since there is no pre-existing goblin to block an overwrite, the new MM goblin should place. This new goblin will be in your journal tab as well. This is actually a feature. Say you had decided that all goblins in your campaign use halberds, and you added a halberd to your goblins, plus maybe some token actions. Drawing a MM goblin would overwrite all your changes and give you a plain goblin, destroying your custom work.
Oh wow!  Thank you! You're right.  I was dragging a monster that I already had made a manual entry for (before I bought MM).  I just tried dragging a random one that I didn't have a manually made entry for and it worked flawlessly with the token and everything.  Thank you!  I knew I was missing something obvious.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's something that seems confusing at first, and then when you think about, "yeah, that's the way it should  work"