Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][Torchbearer] Adventuring in a high-fantasy Central/South America

Edited 1551116463
*CW: human sacrifice The World We Play In To the north lies the empire of the lizardmen - the ascendant power in this world - warlike, voracious and unstoppable. From the top of the great pyramid temple in their capital city, they perform human sacrifices every day to ensure the sun will continue to rise. The elves to their south have long since faded, their own decadence as much to blame for the collapse of their once-great culture as anything else. Along the land bridge to the untamed wilds of the east are the city-states of man, somehow maintaining a fragile balance of power among themselves despite the looming threat of the rising empire of the north. Beyond the great gate built in ages of war past lies a land of feral wild ruled by a different kind of tyrant lizards, mighty dinosaurs whose footsteps shake the very earth. Atop the mountains and below the hills of this deadly wilderness is the empire of the dwarves, secretive and hidden. Though the cities of this world teem with culture and life, beyond their walls lie the dangers and mystery of the ever-encroaching jungle, which has swallowed countless cultures in its depths, and is fated to consign many more to the lost chapters of history. ~~~~~~~~ This setting is primarily based off the Pre-Colombian cultures of South and Central America. The lizardman empire is based on the Aztecs, the elves and human city-states the declining Maya, and the distant dwarven empire the Inca. From the lands beyond the scorching deserts of the north sometimes emerge 'nomadic barbarians' akin to the native tribes of the United States, and in the great gulf at the center of this world is a colorful and anachronistic mix of island cultures based on the many of the Caribbean. Familiarity with these cultures is not necessary, but approaching them respectfully is. For many of the mainland religions of this time, human sacrifice is normal - something which further blurs the lines of morality as we understand it. We will do our best to approach such themes with maturity whenever they arise. The Game We Play "Adventurer is a dirty word. You’re a scoundrel, a villain, a wastrel, a vagabond, a criminal, a sword-for-hire, a  cutthroat. Respectable people belong to guilds, the church or are born into nobility. Or barring all that, they’re salt of the earth and  till the land for the rest of us. Your problem is that you’re none of that. You’re a third child or worse. You can’t get into a guild—too many apprentices already. You’re sure as hell not nobility—even if you were, your older brothers and sisters have soaked up the inheritance. The temples will take you, but they have so many acolytes, they hand you kit and a holy sign and send you right out the door again: Get out there and preach the word and find something nice for the Immortals.  And if you ever entertained romantic notions of homesteading, think again. You’d end up little more than a  slave to a wealthy noble. So there’s naught for you but to make your own way. There’s a certain freedom to it, but it’s a hard life. Cash flows out of your hands as easily as the blood from your wounds.  But at least it’s your life.  And if you’re lucky, smart and stubborn, you might come out on top. There’s a lot of lost loot out there for the finding. And salvage law is mercifully generous. You find it, it’s yours to  spend, sell or keep."  -Torchbearer Rulebook, "The Life" ~~~~~~~~ Torchbearer is based on the rules for the Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard RPGs. It is not Dungeons & Dragons. You do not play a hero, you play an adventurer. How you choose to confront the denizens of this world sets the stakes of what you're putting on the line - if you try to kill them, you may find yourself their next meal... if deadly traps and dark magics don't get you first. Survival is the name of the game - light and food must be managed to keep from starving to death in the dark, and it's up to the players to decide how far to risk things in their quests for the riches, secrets and power hidden in the dark places of the world. The Group We Play In Torchbearer uses a traditional GM role like most tabletop RPGs. While the GM is expected to be the adjudicator of the rules and play the role of the NPCs and environment, they are not the dictator of the table. Disputes may be tabled for after a session to keep things moving along, but expect things to operate democratically. Our goal is to enjoy ourselves as a group, and if game or table rules have to be adjusted to ensure everyone is having a good time we will do so. I take constructive feedback seriously and do my best to make changes accordingly - the same is expected of everyone in the group. The game system is very accommodating to drop-in/drop-out play and so are we, if you can only attend sporadically all we ask is that you keep us informed on when we can expect you. There are many different styles of play, and I don't expect every personality to be able to mesh - if you get a few sessions in and feel like this isn't the right game/group for you, that's perfectly alright. Just let us know and we can part amicably; please don't ghost.  Currently this game is being GMed by me at 8pm EST on Saturdays when at least 3 players are available. Date/time is flexible if enough players can make a session.
Hello!  This sounds quite interesting and I'd like to try it out.  I have downloaded a pdf for Torchbearer and will dive into it.  How long are the sessions?  I enjoy a good 4 hour or more game.  Thanks!  -Nate

Edited 1551135093
Hi Nate! We usually go 4 hours, sometimes a bit more if people are up for it. If you want some time to look over the rules just let me know if/when you'd like an invite.
Hopefully with the weekend upon us there will be some more people perusing LFG
I am very interested in this setting and game if you still have the room
Interested!  Not sure if you've got a full group.  I do have the hard copy of the book.  Its fantastic.  I have yet to delve into a deep game.  
Hi Reid, unfortunately we ended the game :C