Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question: image hosting for character sheets

Edited 1557186762
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Where should we be hosting our images used for sheet's on roll20?  I have typically used imgur in the past, but I know some sheet's include their images within the sheet's folder on roll20's github repository.  Not sure if that's just for backup purposes or if it's ok to hotlink directly to them on github...  Seems that roll20 makes a copy on the amazon image servers as well.  Thoughts/opinions?  TIA
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I put mine on GitHub and then use rawgit.com to get a link directly to the image to use in the sheet 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: I put mine on GitHub and then use rawgit.com to get a link directly to the image to use in the sheet  Thanks Scott.  Looks like rawgit is no longer being developed/supported and it may have some other issues... If you're currently using RawGit, please stop using it as soon as you can. Was rawgit redirecting or something?  Can't I just grab the url's directly from the repo? I believe I've also used images from my own user account.(not sure if that's ok either, probably not.) Too bad we didn't have an allotted storage space for sheet authors to store their imagery.  Seems that every so often a sheet loses it's logo, background, etc. due to hosting issues.  Does Roll20 have an "official" suggestion? :-)
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Vince, I've been recommending moving images to GitHub after we have had a rash of images lost due to imgur deleting them. Luckily we had some users manage to find them in most cases. You can upload them to the GitHub folder and right click to open in a new tab then use the raw.githubusercontent.com link there. For my personal projects I upload first to my fork and use these links for the initial launch to the master repository. This lets me test with the images without the need to make an educated guess for the master's address. The following week I diligently update the links with the Roll20 master image. This is because I've broken images before by later deleting my personal repository... O_O  - Cassie
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Perfect. Thanks Cassie.  
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You're welcome. Happy to help. :) - Cassie