Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text box on map "disappears" before you can write in it.

Whenever I try to make a text box to write on any map page, any layer, it gets deselected the instant I create it, thus leaving me completely unable to actually add any text into it. To clarify, the text box is still made, I can drag over it to select it, but I can't write in it at all (and even finding them is near impossibly since they're not visible if there's no text in them) This hasn't always been the case. It used to work just fine, so some patch must have broken this at some point fairly recently...
Hi Tim G, Please carefully work through to the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser             - Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20             - Please disable all add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If steps 1-3 does not resolve your issue, please work through step 4 and provide us with that information. 
I think this is an issue with a recent Chrome release. Firefox still works with the Text tool.
I'm having the same issue on Chrome.  I can circumvent it by right clicking to create the text box.  But then I get into this weird state where moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor but the map itself.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Click and hold to create the text box while starting to type. As soon as there is something in the box, you should be able to let go of the mouse button.
Brian C. said: Click and hold to create the text box while starting to type. As soon as there is something in the box, you should be able to let go of the mouse button. That is indeed a functional workaround, sort of. the moment I let go of the mouse (even during typing) it "let's go" of the text box and I have to reselect it, but still. it's somewhat functional. aisforanagrams said: I'm having the same issue on Chrome.  I can circumvent it by right clicking to create the text box.  But then I get into this weird state where moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor but the map itself. Also seems to work, but again, the strange state happens for me as well so again, not the best thing :/ Rabulias said: I think this is an issue with a recent Chrome release. Firefox still works with the Text tool. If so, I hope it gets fixed soon. :) ArtRaven said: Hi Tim G, Please carefully work through to the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser             - Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20             - Please disable all add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If steps 1-3 does not resolve your issue, please work through step 4 and provide us with that information.  Steps 1-3 did not resolve the issue. Step 4: Description is provided in the original post Same with how to reproduce Operating System Windows 10 (64-bit) Web Browser Chrome 74.0.3729.131 Javascript Yes  Anti-virus: Avast browser add-ons: Dark Reader, Stylebot, Avast, 9gag dark theme, Chromium wheel smooth scroller, Adblock, Adblocker ultimate Screenshot doesn't really seem like it would work for this one... Would happily copy paste the console stuff, but I can't actually mark any of it to copy it, so screenshots is the best I can do I suppose.
Hello Tim G., Thank you for all of this information! You have listed all of your add-ons/extensions. Can you confirm that you have disabled them all and then cleared your cache to see if the issue still persists? Thanks!
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I'm having this same issue, no extensions, Chrome - I have to hold the left mouse button down and start to type, then leave the type tool entirely and go back to the mouse pointer whereupon double-clicking makes it edit almost normally... it still occasionally doubles or triples in size spontaneously. 
Having the same issue, Chrome on Mac. 
It seems like everyone using Chrome is having this issue.
Dragon Dreamer said: Hello Tim G., Thank you for all of this information! You have listed all of your add-ons/extensions. Can you confirm that you have disabled them all and then cleared your cache to see if the issue still persists? Thanks! I can confirm this, yes. The issue persists.
I can also confirm this, and can also confirm that this issue is not present in Firefox.
Same here, although approx. 1 out of 3 times it doesn't happen and just works as intended. Weird.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I've also had this issue. To work around I continue to hold left click and press a button like 't' in order to enter some text. This is doesn't disappear.

Edited 1559056272
Any Fix coming for this?  I realize I can use Firefox (as listed above) but Chrome is my go-to browser.  I still have to do Cassie's trick of holding the mouse button and then typing. I rely a lot on my notes on the map when running the game usually but I will try some other tricks. Thanks ADDENDUM - I figured out another work around - (maybe posted somewhere else) If you have a "prior" text box you created on a map, just copy and paste that box and you can type without it disappearing and without holding the Mouse button.
Hello Blackcloud, Unfortunately, we do not have a time frame on when a resolution to this issue will be made available at this time.  However, please note the devs are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it.
Having a similar issue in both Chrome and Opera.
Hello Sherm, Just wanted to give you a bit of additional information. Roll20 is only supported on Chrome and Firefox. Any other browser may have unexpected results and we are unable to troubleshoot those issues in those browsers. 
Newly installed Firefox, same issue. System: Firefox Quantum 67.0.1 (64-bit) Windows 10 (64bit) No extensions enabled.
This is an issue that was encountered earlier in last 25th of March. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7323352/text-field-glitch" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7323352/text-field-glitch</a> Hoping a solution will be found as this is quite annoying (i'm using Chrome).
running into this issue now in opera havent seen if it persists in chrome or firefox yet id rather use opera as both firefox and chrome are extremely buggy for me and lag my game
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately, Firefox and Chrome are the only officially supported browsers, so roll20 wont be able to help you figure out why opera isnt working properly.
Seems to be corrected in Firefox.
Firefox Nightly works as well