Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

WFRP 3rd edition on Roll20?

Has anyone used Roll20 to runn WFRP 3rd edition campaigns? I have been using the 2nd edition for some years now and heard that the 3rd edition should actually work very well so I started to get interested but unless I can bring it to Roll20 I'll have to pass. I hear it has ton on custom dice, a lot of cards, etc. and the used dice change from situation to situation and these things could cause problems with Roll20. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1396365096
I am pretty sure that WHFRP can be ported over to Roll20, since Final Fantasy Games's new Star Wars RPG uses similar proprietary dice as WHFRP and I see SW played here. Without comparing the two die sets to each other, I can't be sure if they are essentially the same (with different graphics). I suspect they are, so the lazy solution would be just to use the SW dice until a more-elegant solution can be produced. As for the massive amount of cards. Scanning each and every one of them in would be a bunch of work. it might be fun to have them as handouts, but again, this would be entirely unnecessary because FFG published a reference book that lists most of the skills, spells, etc. so it is not necessary to have the cards to be able to play. The print-on-demand stuff, however, is not included. It's a fun game. There are some "hard" rules that form the core of the game, but there is a lot of lee-way for on-the-fly interpretation that makes it fun and less predictable than other games. I would argue that it has one of the best settings of all sword-and-sorcery type games and perhaps one of the most grim as well. It's not for everyone though. I would suggest it for those who like a looser, more narrative feel to their gaming experience rather than number/rule-heavy games like D&D or Pathfinder. Good luck, Maetco.
Xyld said: I am pretty sure that WHFRP can be ported over to Roll20, since Final Fantasy Games's new Star Wars RPG uses similar proprietary dice as WHFRP and I see SW played here. Without comparing the two die sets to each other, I can't be sure if they are essentially the same (with different graphics). I suspect they are, so the lazy solution would be just to use the SW dice until a more-elegant solution can be produced. As for the massive amount of cards. Scanning each and every one of them in would be a bunch of work. it might be fun to have them as handouts, but again, this would be entirely unnecessary because FFG published a reference book that lists most of the skills, spells, etc. so it is not necessary to have the cards to be able to play. The print-on-demand stuff, however, is not included. It's a fun game. There are some "hard" rules that form the core of the game, but there is a lot of lee-way for on-the-fly interpretation that makes it fun and less predictable than other games. I would argue that it has one of the best settings of all sword-and-sorcery type games and perhaps one of the most grim as well. It's not for everyone though. I would suggest it for those who like a looser, more narrative feel to their gaming experience rather than number/rule-heavy games like D&D or Pathfinder. Good luck, Maetco. Thanks for the input. The dice per se should not be a problem thanks to custom dice tool in Roll20 but if the number of different dice used changes every time it might not be possible to make proper abilities for characters and then the gaming pace would take a huge blow right in the face. Also those cards, I don't really know anything about the 3rd edition so I'm just working on hearsay here but, there are supposed to be some action cards in it and you need to have those visible somehow to represent which ones you can use or something. Also there seems to be a stance meter or something, etc. Basically the game really seems to have been created for a physical table so I really need someone who has played or at least tried it on Roll20 to tell how easy/doable it is. I would rather not buy something for about €100 and not be able to use it. Of course people with experience with the system and GMing on Roll20 can give a lot of valuable input on how they would do it themselves.

Edited 1396374125
It has been a while since I actually played WHFRPv3, but I am absolutely positive that it can be done on Roll20. All of the physical objects that the rules seem to be dependent on can be replaced in various manners, including creating custom cards for the players to track certain variables if you want to go that way or via text "I change my stance +1 level to Reckless". The action cards are covered in the rules as are other things such as mutations, magic and whatnot. The boxed set is absolutely beautiful, but everything contained within can be replaced with the GM and Player books with no loss to the game itself.