Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

When moving monsters from compendium to map the sheet is blank

Hi there. I am having a problem. I am adding monsters to a battle map from the compendium. I have it placed on the token layer, however when I click on the token and bring up the sheet for it, instead of it being an NPC sheet with all of the stats filled in from the compendium it is instead a PC sheet and is blank, meaning I am having to input all of the stats manually. Now this is not necessarily a problem, but one of the main reasons why I bought things like the monster manual and Mordenkienans was so I didn't need to do this. Am I doing something wrong? is there a step I am missing. Previously I only had to move the token from the compendium to the map, but that isn't working. Any help would be appreciated
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some things to check: 1. Did you already have a given monster of that name in the game? If you have a goblin (say) already resident, pulling in a fresh copy from the compendium won't overwrite it (so as not to destroy any customization you may have made). If this is the case, deleting the character sheet from the game and pulling in a fresh copy from the compendium should fix it. 2. Does your game have a character sheet? If you have created a game without choosing a character sheet, then pulling in a monster will not create one. It will pull in attributes, but won't create a sheet. At this time, there are only two sheets with 5e Compendium compatibility: the D&D 5e sheet by Roll20, and the Shaped Sheet by user Kryx. If you do not have a sheet attached to the game you can change this on the game details page. My guess from your description is that #1 is more likely than #2 (since it sounds like you are getting a sheet albeit a blank one), unless you are using the Community Contributed sheet, which has been largely abandoned.
Hi  I am having the same problem . Last night it was all working fine as normal but today  the same issue as op .
I am using the starter set, though we have moved slightly away from that content. All tokens for monsters I have already moved from the compendium onto the map work. It's only when I select new ones. This is also happening to all of my games (4 in total) everytimes I try to pull a new monster from the compendium it drops the token, but then if I shift click on the token to bring up the sheet, instead of an npc sheet with all of the stats filled in, it is a blank PC character sheet. meaning I then have to turn it into an NPC sheet and fill it in myself.

Edited 1560272487
Also no I did not have a creature of the type already. I was pulling The wretched from the compendium a creature that does not usually appear in the Lost Mines of Phandelver, I had not pulled it from the compendium before. and is now showing blank sheets for all new monsters
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Something weird is going on then. I just successfully pulled in a Giant Scorpion from the Monster Manual. Hopefully a dev will attend to this shortly, but you can save time by proactively going through the standard  guide to  Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions  and  anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!)
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Something to check, have you enabled the "pop out journal by default" option in the in game settings? Having journal entries pop out by default will break drag and drop off monsters.
Where is that in the game settings I can't find it, but why is it a problem now, when it wasn't a problem earlier and I haven't changed any settings on any of my other games and the same problem is affecting them
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, I was thinking you might have enabled it between working and not working. If you haven't changed any in game settings, then that wouldn't be it. I'm on mobile at the moment, so I can't give a screenshot of where it is, but it's towards the top of the in game settings panel (the cog icon tab in the right pane).
I have tried to do the same thing on chrome. I have turned off API scripts, still getting the same problem. just tried pulling hippogrif from the compendium, a monster that I haven't pulled before so there wasn't a token for it in my game. When I do so, the journal entry pops up, with all the Lore etc, but when I click on the token to bring up the sheet...Still a blank PC sheet
Found the settings, but couldn't find "pop out journal by default". If it helps (don't know if it will but hey info is info.) D&D 5e by Roll 20 for the character sheet for my PC's
The same issue here and checked all the setting. No difference from yesterday. Creatures that where dragged across last night and that in the journal are working fine. I am having the same issue in all my games  including purchased content (TOA) it looks like an issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You should find it here in your settings tab:
ok. yeah that box isn't ticked
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can also confirm that with that setting clicked, drag and drop characters do not fill in.
yeah I can't access purchased content across games. Storm Kings thunder for example has a uniqe creature called the Crag cat. I can access it in my SKT game because it's in the journal, but in any other game if I type Crag cat into the compendium it can't find it. Same with my Tomb of Annihilation content. Granted I can move stuff through the character vault as a fix, but still.
well my characters don't seem to be filled in with it not being ticked either
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jonathan M. said: ok. yeah that box isn't ticked Well, shoot. That looked pretty hopeful.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jonathan M. said: yeah I can't access purchased content across games. Storm Kings thunder for example has a uniqe creature called the Crag cat. I can access it in my SKT game because it's in the journal, but in any other game if I type Crag cat into the compendium it can't find it. Same with my Tomb of Annihilation content. Granted I can move stuff through the character vault as a fix, but still. That's normal. Module-specific content will only appear in that module.
I had a feeling, wanted to be sure
Someone else is having the same prob. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7523422/compendium-issue-draging-creatures" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7523422/compendium-issue-draging-creatures</a>
Also none of my juke box music is working
I'm having the same problem NPC not being filled in as well with the tokens that are dragged and dropped on the token layer. The Widow for pop up characters wasn't checked when I looked. I did have the same problem almost a year ago.&nbsp; I'm not sure what the team of roll20 did at that time, but during the week the problem was fixed. The module NPC content is fine. It's just the Monster Manual and other monster compendium creatures that don't fill out.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I've tried creating anew game and the same problem is happening there
The jukebox is working on the new game though
have had to re-upload the music tracks and now they seem to work
Moving reports here:&nbsp; GMPablo &nbsp;said: Hi It has only started today . When I drag a creature from the compendium the character sheet is a blank instead of the usual NPC layout . I have purchased both the MM and VGTM&nbsp; this has only just happened never had any issues before . King D20 &nbsp;said: It may not be contributing much but me and a friend tested this on our computers and accounts and it seems we have the exact same problem and I was working on a sheet just yesterday so this is a new bug. Anyway it isn't just you so I guess less worry to be had there right? Aserdon &nbsp;said: I'm having the same issue. I have tried with both "pop out journal by default" option on and off. The end result is the same, I just get a blank sheet with the monster's picture. Zippa &nbsp;said: Experiencing the same issue as described.&nbsp; Matthew O. &nbsp;said: Yeah having the same issue right now. Really not ideal as I'm in the middle of a pretty important session :(
Hello all, I am sorry to hear that you all are encountering this issue with dragging the compendium monsters. I have passed this information along to the devs.&nbsp; Additionally, please follow the troubleshooting steps , as provided previously by keithcurtis, to help the devs narrow down this issue. Please be sure to include the Console Log. Thanks!

Edited 1560348343
Jeff
Pro
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/assets/app.js?1559926810" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/assets/app.js?1559926810</a> Thank you all! It seems to be working today.
Hi everyone! Following Jeff's post, are you all still experiencing this issue? Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this behavior on my end. Some information that will be helpful: Does this happen only in a specific game? If you create a new game and test there does it persist? Are you using purchased compendium content such as the Monster Manual or are you just using the SRD? Does this only seem to happen with certain monsters? Double check if the monster is already part of your journal, if so, delete it and try the drag-and-drop again.
Hi There, it is happening to all of my games. I have tried creating a new game and the problem still persists It is happening to purchased content and SRD monsters none of the monsters it happens to are in my journal, any monster already in my journal is fine. It's just when I want to add new ones

Edited 1560356851
I have just tried it in one of my games and everything seems to be working now, both purchased content and SRD
Does this happen only in a specific game? If you create a new game and test there does it persist?&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;All games new and old Are you using purchased compendium content such as the Monster Manual or are you just using the SRD? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Monster Manual and Volo Does this only seem to happen with certain monsters? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;no all monsters&nbsp; Double check if the monster is already part of your journal if so, delete it and try the drag-and-drop again. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Double checked all deleted&nbsp; Like Jonathan M my issue seems to have resolved itself and now back to normality&nbsp;