Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Functionality of knowing your rolls ahead of time.

Okay, so our group got into a small argument about this topic. Imagine a tabletop game.  I have three attacks per round.  I would roll my attacks one by one, deciding if I want to continue my attacks after seeing the outcome of each die.  So if my target dies after the second hit, I could then decide to maybe hit another target, or stop altogether. Now in Roll20.  I roll my attack (from the 'Weapons / Attacks' section), which has all the information for my three weapon swings.  The three rolls are displayed simultaneously. Because of this, I have the knowledge of the outcome of the rolls before I decide how to distribute my attacks.  What would be an effective way around this, or am I thinking about this completely wrong? Hopefully, I articulated this decently.

Edited 1560312517
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Set up your weapon attacks to be a single attack (or three attacks, if each attack has a different bonus from the others) and then you can do them one at a time.

Edited 1560313235
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I agree that this is a little like peeking at the next couple cards that are coming into play... Some sheet's roll multiple attacks for convenience(mainly to speed up combat) and seeing the results all at once is a sacrifice we make.  Given that Player's as well as GM's have this luxury, I suppose it evens out. If you like, you should be able to make separate attack rolls, adjusting each attack for multi-attack penalties and such.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Logan G. said: Imagine a tabletop game.  I have three attacks per round.  I would roll my attacks one by one, deciding if I want to continue my attacks after seeing the outcome of each die.  So if my target dies after the second hit, I could then decide to maybe hit another target, or stop altogether. I dont really see this as an issue. If you are attacking three times, and youre first attack drops an opponent, obviously you are going to stop attacking that opponent. If there are other opponents, you can direct your remaining attacks against them. I guess I can see two situations where there might be an issue: You down on an opponent on your first (and only the first) attack, have another opponent within reach, but see your subsequent attack rolls are low, so you declare that you are doing a move action instead of a full attack. And you have downed an opponent, and have one or more attacks remaining, and face opponents with varying armour classes. This allows you to use your knowledge of your roll to decide which opponent to attack. These are fairly specific situations, but there are ways to handle it. You could have a simple rule: whenever (and every time!) you change targets, you make a new attack roll (click the button again, and ignore the attack numbers that have already been made). This means that players cant use knowledge of previous rolls to decide who they will attack next. This solves both the situations above. Have players declare what they will do if their down their opponent, before making any attack rolls.  Either of the above would work to solve the situation. You could always just not worry about it and let players use their knowledge of their rolls. They did just down an opponent, you could consider this a side benefit of it. They are after all heroes and can assess the situation.