Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Selection Macro - Attack and Damage

Hello all!  I've been scouring the internet trying to find the solution I need but have not been successful, so I'm now going to try to bring it up here and hope for the best!  Here's my problem... Essentially what I want is a three-step drop down menu for my attack rolls (order does not matter).  Click on Macro and it brings up the first question: Normal, Advantage, or Disadvantage.  After you click the option you want and hit submit, question two: Normal, To GM.  Next comes the actual attack: Shortsword, Dagger, Crossbow, etc. After you select the attack it then rolls the attack and damage.  Is this possible?  I've been trying on my own and on the web for a while and cannot figure this out.  I've modified another macro I found so that it will roll the Attack roll correctly, but does not do damage at the same time.  Help?  Thanks in advance!!!

Edited 1560846881
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Josh, can we safely assume 5e... and then the official Roll20 5e sheet? If you head to the settings for your character you'll be able to enable 'auto roll damage' which should help you adjust your current macro, you can also toggle to query for advantage there too AND a query for whispering to the GM... other than that your only other thing is weapon selection which can be handled via a chat menu nicely?
Hi Ziechael, thank you for the response.  That is not what I'm looking for unfortunately. Essentially I want a macro I can put into the macro bar at the bottom so I can roll an attack without having to open my character sheet.  It would have those three previous components.
Ziechael's answer does all of this.  The easiest way to create the macro button is to use the attack from your character sheet after you've set it up the way Ziechael explained.  After the result of the roll shows up in chat  press the up arrow with your cursor in the chat input field and it will fill in with the macro.  Copy and paste this to a macro and make it a token macro or put it in the macro bar for the button.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can also just drag your attacks down to the macro bar, then rename them to save space :)
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm not sure you can do that along the bottom since the quick bar is pulling the roll directly from the sheet and will use whatever settings the sheet is using at the time.  You could set up token actions (macros built on the attributes & abilities tab) and have them appear at the top of the screen when your token is selected.  I expect that the simplest way to do that is to make a macro (probably easiest by rolling a configuration from the sheet and hitting the up arrow to copy the code) for each way you want to roll, then setting up a chat menu like Zeitchael mentioned.  It may not be the way you want to go about it, but will give you the end result you desire.

Edited 1560894788
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Just tested, dragged the attack down without the sheet settings being as desired, then clicked it later with the new settings and no token selected, it worked as intended, querying where required and auto rolling damage. The attack macros are designed to check the sheet settings to fill in details like whispering/advantage and damage display so no matter when you drag the attack down it will respect the sheet settings.
Yes you can do that, but then you have to drag down each one.  I want a one stop shop where you click on the macro in the macro bar and it gives you a drop down to choose.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The chat menu will do that for you as a token action.  Instead of clicking a button and then having to answer 3 questions, you click one button and get a menu where you click the roll you want.  Totally up to you.  If you are absolutely set on queries, it will be quite the pain to set up and well beyond what I want to tackle.  I also really dislike having to answer queries every time I roll, so I may be a slight bit biased against queries.  lol
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As above, and as per my original suggestion, chat menus are much cleaner and easier to maintain than a nested query... if you are 100% determined to go that route I'm happy to help set you on the path to madness, after all I live there and it's not too bad this time of year.
The issue with going the chat menu is, unless I'm completely misunderstanding things, that I'd still have to click into the character sheet to click Advantage/Disadvantage and Public/To GM.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could do it with a series of chat menus, one for each option, but that's a little clunky. It could also be done with the API, but unless your game was created by an active Pro user, that's not an option.

Edited 1561075450
I'm not a Pro user, and I agree that a series of chat menus (you'd need 6 in total) is extremely clunky.  I'm about 65% of the way there with my drop downs, I just need to figure how to do the damage and To GM bits without being a coder lol. I've played with the "use the up arrow" piece to try to see the code difference between a Public and To GM roll, but unfortunately there isn't one that I could find.  I'm more than happy to message folks what I have already for their opinion.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Josh M. said: The issue with going the chat menu is, unless I'm completely misunderstanding things, that I'd still have to click into the character sheet to click Advantage/Disadvantage and Public/To GM. You'd need to go into the character sheet settings 1 time to set them to 'query' all the things you want to query and automatically roll damage. After that, your chat menu would roll as if from the sheet (if set up correctly) and prompt accordingly everytime...  Josh M. said: I've played with the "use the up arrow" piece to try to see the code difference between a Public and To GM roll, but unfortunately there isn't one that I could find.  I'm more than happy to message folks what I have already for their opinion. There isn't a difference... part of the template that is rolled looks at the sheets selection for whether to query or not, I simply cannot stress this enough... change the settings on your sheet and build a chat menu or use the macro bar at the bottom and all your dreams will come true, have you actually tried it yet?
Yes, I have.  I know exactly what you're talking about.  The entire point of the macro is so that I do not have to open my character sheet at all to roll.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Why would you have to open the sheet?  Once you have the macro set up, you don't have to open the sheet.
To change between Advantage/Disadvantage and Public/To GM depending on the type of roll the GM is asking you to make?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you have the sheet settings the way Ziechael shows in the screenshot, it will ask you every time you make a roll whether it is a public or gm roll, and if it is normal/advantage/disadvantage.  Just set your sheet that way, drag your rolls to the quick bar, and you have it.  What are we missing that this doesn't do for you that you are wanting?
It doesn't for me unfortunately.  I'll talk to my DM.  Maybe there's a setting or something that's messing with it...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I did that in a game where I am a player and not gm, and it worked for me.  No idea why it isn't for you.