Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player Avatar Bug Report Thread

Edited 1562083007
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is the official feedback thread for the new Player Avatar feature , where you can change which character you are "speaking as" and have your player avatar change to match. Known Issues (July 2, 2019): Animated avatars do not appear in the chat log when changing to "Speaking As." Changing "Speaking As" when the chat window is popped out does not change the avatar. If you are a GM and "Rejoin as Player," the option to disable avatars is visible, but does not function.
I was wondering if there is a way to change your "As" option through text/code. When the GM gets a very full campaign, the number of options cause the drop down menu to require a great deal of scrolling. If there was a text/code option that could be entered, a GM could create a macro to set his "As" much more quickly. I have reviewed the wiki and see that /as will allow the GM to speak as anything they care to type in, but this will not change their avatar image. Thanks for any information. I am really loving this new feature, because it saves me from wanting to change my avatar for every game I play in.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Over in the initial thread on the Pro forum, The Aaron posted a short API script for switching characters using the API. Have you checked that out?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The API changes the avatar correctly, but does not change the "speaking as" drop down, nor the name in chat.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Good morning! This morning we fixed the following two issues with player avatars: Animated avatars now appear in the chat log when changing to "Speaking As." Changing "Speaking As" when the chat window is popped out now changes the avatar. You can read about these and other changes in this morning's release note .
Is it a bug or a feature that we have to set the speaking as everytime we log in? I would like the game to remember my last speaking as, because they never change. But as is I have to set it up new every gameday. 
Hey Danii, It is intentional that you have to set the Speaking As every time you log in. We want to help prevent any accidental clicks that can occur when exiting a game or game prep, things that could spoil twists or NPC reveals. Someone unfamiliar with the chat interface or this feature specifically could change it unwittingly and it would be difficult to undo. That being said, we'll keep an eye out for further feedback on saving the avatar state.
Two little hints: a search form or Auto Complete feature would be helpful, and the manual avatar should overwrite the video. We use Roll20 with webcam: So a quick jump to the static character image would be cool.
Just for clarification .. i can switch between difference avatar(s), but i did not overwrite the video? Right? So if i use video broadcasting it didn't work?
If you set your broadcast and receive settings in game to Voice Only, your Speaking As avatar should change the same way it would if you were using text-only. That way you can still talk with one another, but see the character instead. You can also broadcast video and voice, but only receive voice which would show the other players' avatars (and any avatar changes) on your screen and still allow them to see your video. If you set your broadcast to voice only, that will have your avatar showing instead of video, regardless of the other players' options. Does any of this help with what you're hoping to accomplish?

Edited 1562341533
The easiest way I think would be that the selection of another character would overwrite the cam settings. Anything else is a too complex action... At least in my case. But I like this feature - and will give it a try! I really like it.
Hi Bunny,  thanks for the answer.  Would it be possible to get an option to toggle whether the speaking as is saved on exit? 
라브
Pro
Translator
Player avatars no longer stack nicely on the bottom and randomly appear overlapped on the screen when you enter the game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you tried resetting them in the settings tab?
라브
Pro
Translator
I did, but whenever someone new enters the game it goes back to weird places. keithcurtis said: Have you tried resetting them in the settings tab?
Hello! Couple of questions for you :) Could you show a screenshot of what your settings look like? Does this only happen in certain games or in all games? Are you the player or GM in this game in particular? Do all of the avatars snap to a weird position when someone else joins in, or only the most recent joinee? Do the anchors seems to stay in position between refreshes or upon exiting and rejoining the game? Thanks! 라브 said: I did, but whenever someone new enters the game it goes back to weird places.

Edited 1563897724
라브
Pro
Translator
Hi, here are my settings: I was a player and I've confirmed with other players that this happened to them as well (including the GM). I've looked at other games and it seems like this problem only occurs on this particular game (here is the URL ) so it's not a huge deal if it's not fixed! All the avatars relocated every time someone new joined the game - and refreshing/rejoining the game did not fix the problem. On a side note, I've noticed that the player video/avatar location and moveable player avatars under chat avatars disappear from the setting  when you have the video+audio chat options disabled (you only see player video/avatar size setting); is this intentional? + Problem was solved when video+audio chat option was set to none! Drespar said: Hello! Couple of questions for you :) Could you show a screenshot of what your settings look like? Does this only happen in certain games or in all games? Are you the player or GM in this game in particular? Do all of the avatars snap to a weird position when someone else joins in, or only the most recent joinee? Do the anchors seems to stay in position between refreshes or upon exiting and rejoining the game? Thanks! 라브 said: I did, but whenever someone new enters the game it goes back to weird places.