Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Macros in Templates not linked to a character Sheet

1562410828

Edited 1562418955
Hi All, So I'm not a fan of any electronic sheets (including Roll20).  I mean they are good efforts, the intent is there, but I'm old school and use the Monster Statblocks for PC as it is well organized and fastest for me personally to find relevant info. I am however a huge fan of Macros.  They are so powerful and so fast, and I have set them up on Roll20 by hand.  But I'm having trouble imbedding other Macros into templates.  I've looked through the documentation and the only examples I see of imbedded macros are linked to PC sheets. Is it possible/how do I imbed a macro into another macro using a template and not tied to a sheet? Example  &{template:pf_generic} {{name=Tactical Halt}}{{Description=*He raises a hand signaling silence and alertness*}}{{Stealth=[[1d20+6]]}}{{Perception=[[1d20+8]]}} I have other Macros for both Perception and Stealth.  I would like to use those in the macro instead so when I level I don't have to double up on effort.  Or even better, set up a master list of skills like max rank+Dex, update those when I level and then tie specific skills into those macros.
1562425181

Edited 1562425385
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Character sheet's are used to help handle attribute data (presentation/manipulation).  Sheets are mainly "window dressing" for attributes and the underlying attribute data is usually easily accessible using macros on/off of the sheet.  If you call those attributes directly in your macros, there shouldn't be a need to constantly update your macros as your character(s) level-up and/or have temporary changes to their stats.  So, in your example macro above, I would use @{selected|stealth} and @{selected|perception} instead of manually entering their modifiers.  As you make changes to your sheet that may effect those attributes, your macro automatically adjusts to compensate. Side note: while I'm a fan of making my own macros, many sheets now conveniently provide nearly every roll you would need to make either as a direct roll from the sheet or a whispered chat menu of choices.  If you do not like opening the sheet, you can drag/drop rolls and chat menu buttons to the quickbar(rename/colorize as desired) and/or call those rolls by their name directly in your own macros.  Or make your own chat menus . If you don't want to use a sheet at all, you can manually create attributes and macros (this is how we used to do it on roll20, pre-character sheet introduction)  You will also be limited to the default template. Hope this helps.  Cheers
1562425562
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm not sure I entirely understand, but you can make references to abilities and attributes by using the "selected" keyword. for example: &{template:pf_generic} {{name=Tactical Halt}}{{Description=*@{selected|character_name} raises a hand signaling silence and alertness*}}{{Stealth=[[1d20+@{selected|Stealth}]]}}{{Perception=[[1d20+@{selected|Perception}]]}}  should work for any selected token. Create it as a collections macro as a universal token ability, or on a macro sheet, though you will have to tell players to add their own macros that call %{macro_sheet_name|ability_name}