Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Fog of War, Dynamic Lighting, and Darkvision Issues

1562738761

Edited 1562739419
Hello all, I have recently returned to Roll20 after getting my party back together. About 5 months ago we were set to run HotDQ, but life got in the way as it often does and we had to postpone. Flash forward to today, and we finally have a date set for Saturday afternoon. So I log back into Roll20, renew my Plus membership, and launch the game just to make sure everything in my campaign is still ready to go. Everything is great but I am having issues with Fog of War, Advanced Fog of War, and Darkvision. Only one member of the party has Darkvision. When we had to step away months ago I had everything working just how I wanted it. Moving that characters token around the map worked great using dynamic lighting to reveal only what he should be able to see in his line of sight to the correct distance. However, when I was testing it today, when I select my player with Darkvision token and hit ctrl+L, the entire map is pitch black. Nothing can be seen around the character, and none of the in map light sources can be seen either. Same with the other characters that don't have Darkvision, everything including torches is pitch black. I don't know what the problem is, I haven't changed anything since it was working flawlessly months ago. Now if I turn Fog of War off it looks weird too, very blocky. If I recall correctly I had it where everything outside of the players range of sight was black, and moving revealed things dynamically and smoothly, not all blocky and grey. I will link photos of the settings I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Map Settings:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/Ok6OAgW.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/Ok6OAgW.png?1</a> Darkvision info:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/ylkeXBg.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/ylkeXBg.png?1</a> Non-Darkvision info:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/NYMpU2x.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/NYMpU2x.png?1</a> Normal Map:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/nqJqOHE.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/nqJqOHE.png?1</a> Dynamic Lighting:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/P25uPrx.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/P25uPrx.png?1</a> CTR+L View:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/ibmMZDv.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/ibmMZDv.png?1</a> Fog Of War Turned Off:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/RDC1MVk.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/RDC1MVk.png?1</a>
Small Update, after fooling around with the settings for a bit I found something closer to what I remember. The light around the characters is much closer to what I remember, smooth and warm. But I don't recall the lighting I put on the map exposing big blocky grey areas like that. I recall it being much more like the light coming off of the characters, smooth and warm not blocky and grey. Closer Map:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/k2Uzj01.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/k2Uzj01.png?1</a> Closer Map Settings:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/lYXo0GF.png?1" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/lYXo0GF.png?1</a>
1562741378
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Advanced Fog of War reveals by grid squares. It has always looked blocky. Your initial setup had regular Fog of War turned on. The default when that is toggled on is to obscure the entire map. You must manually reveal areas. Think of it like a big sheet of black paper on top of everything. My guess is that Regular FoW was either off when you played in the past, or that it has been re-set back to fully obscured. For the type of map setup you have, I would suggest turning off either FoW or AFoW. You shouldn't need both. You might get better performance by turning both off and using light crumbs instead. It will look nicer and be more flexible, though not as automatic or dynamic as AFoW.
Thanks keithcurtis! Very informative. I think you are right. Looking at my map with both Fow and AFoW turned off looks most like I recall. Light crumbs seem perfect for what I want. Thanks again!