Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5E OGL] NPC damage not rolling (not an auto-roll toggle issue)

Hi, So I dragged and dropped a Compendium monster, with the intent of editing the sheet. I created an attack, with a proper damage roll. I have Do Not Auto Roll Damage set, because I don't want players to see the damage before they know if it hits or not. I click on the attack, it rolls to hit, fine. I click on the attack line to show the damage, and it displays "Damage:               " as if there is no damage roll implemented. It doesn't work for any damage roll I put in, in [[]] or not. I've filled it all the fields. Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken: 1. The normal attack (which came when I dragged and dropped the sheet) works fine. I click the attack, then I click for damage, it displays fine. 2. If I set Auto Roll Damage on, it works fine. 3. Weirdly, if I disable the "Attack" checkbox, it'll roll the damage fine (it doesn't do an attack roll because it's not an attack, but it'll display a box showing the damage it does, using the roll I input when the Attack checkbox WAS checked. Really strange behavior. 4 Fixes I've tried: Brackets [[]], changing the die roll, changing from a melee attack to ranged attack, changing the range, changing everything. Nothing works. The temporary solution is to auto roll damage, I guess, but I'd prefer not to.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I didn't manage to replicate this behaviour. What compendium monster did this happen with, and does this persist between different monsters?

Edited 1562856832
It was a bog standard 1/4 CR Wolf, and I haven't yet tried it with another creature, I will though. Edit: I did rename it though. Edit2: I just tried it with a kobold, all rolls worked fine. Still not working with the wolf/guard dog.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could already have a wolf instance in your game that has been compromised. Dragging in a new wolf from the Compendium only places an instance of the existing wolf, not a fresh Compendium one (To guard against overwrites of custom creatures). To test, delete any existing wolf characters from your game and try with a fresh drag. That will help narrow down where the problem is coming from.
This is a session 0 wolf. There are no other previous wolves.