Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

We need the ability to store roll results in variables

I've looked around and can't seem to find a thread for this, though I thought I'd heard there was one--if I've missed one, please let me know! The ability to make a roll and store the result should be a basic function of the dice roller. As far as my combing through the forums and documentation can reveal, there is no way to do this beyond some kind of API wizardry that I simply cannot do. But, there should be a way, presumably very similar to using a Roll Query, to save the result only of a roll so that it can be referenced later in the same macro or sheet button. This seems like a very basic necessity! (It's even more basic and necessary than some other missing abilities that still baffle me, like the ability to choose a variable based on another variable or case statements.) Have I missed a way to do this? I love Roll20 and have happily supported this platform for years now, but it can be hard to accept or understand some of the things it doesn't allow (without learning fairly complex code to use the API). Anyhow, thanks for considering this thought!
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Install PowerCards and use it instead of your other roll templates.
I actually tried that first. I've been experimenting with PowerCards, and while I really like it, I'm afraid I do not see how it solves my problem?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In power cards you set up a tag for a roll result ( [$tagname] ) and then you can call that result elsewhere (please note my understanding may be slightly outdated due to recent code changes). As for variables from variables, also possible but requires the art of nested query mastering: ?{Option 1|Yes,?{Option 2|Yes,I'm an option 2 YES|No,I'm an option 2 NO}|No,I'm an option 1 No} (disclaimer: not dismissing this suggestion, there are some aspects of macros that should be improved on for 'out of the box' usage)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .