Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Best practices for large hex maps

I'm using the Hex n Treks sets from Chibbin Grove (Marketplace Content) to put together a large regional map for my party to explore in an upcoming session. So it has to be pretty detailed (there's a chance of getting lost, events that only happen at certain sites, etc.). I'd like to know some fundamental dos and donts when putting together a large hex map, so the game doesn't slow to a crawl. Some really stupid questions I have: Is it easier on the system if the hexes are drawings or just regular tokens? What are the optimal page settings for a large hex map? Should all hexes be on the map layer? How do you manage DL (i.e. how players see where they are)? I looked at the docs for Hexploration, but wasn't clear on whether I could add the polygons to existing hexes or not. For reference, I'm using TheAaron's awesome ScaleOnAdd script so my hexes are automatically sized properly as they hit the map. 
Anyone? Anyone?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not having done this I can only make some guesses, but I'll give it a shot.. 1. Drawings, unless the Hexploration script requires otherwise (Though I don't think it does) 2. No real idea. I don't think there is an "optimal", only what works within the constraints of your and your players' computers. If you can keep it to under 50 x 50, that's probably better, but it's only a number I pulled out of the air. 3. Yes. Is there a reason you wouldn't? 4. I'd suggest a small-scale test to become familiar with the script. The author, Stephen L ., is active on the forums and might be able to answer any technical questions.
Thanks for the reply, Keith. Yes, I will contact Stephen L to ask about his script.