Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Editor wrapper is super annoying and has an arbitrary size.

Edited 1566736354
admiralnlson
Sheet Author
It's being bothering me for a while, and I'm sure other GMs (and possibly players) too. There is a super weird wrapper around the editor (talking about div#editor-wrapper, div#editor and div.canvas-container) with what looks to be a completely arbitrary size. The consequence is that when you scroll all the way up, right, down or left, any tokens, maps, .. you drop in that area gets truncated. This is very annoying, and kind of a nightmare too when you want to find the tabletop area you are actually able to use, because there's absolutely no visual indicator on where the limit is. You have that weird sweet spot, kind of in the middle of the editor, for each new page. Then you have to worry about pages being somewhat aligned with each other, so that players don't have to scroll each time you switch to a different page. Example of truncation in top right corner: Can you fix the html/css please? Here is the part you need to look at: As a temporary work-around until a potential long-term fix, please: give a different background image/color to the wrapper itself, or add a visual border to div.canvas-container, so that we don't have to guess where the truncation is going to happen at least. Thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Are you removing the grid and setting the page background to transparent? I've never seen what you're describing.
Ah! Indeed, I am! I use no grid and transparent background as a 'base' for any new page. I suppose those who use a colored background get to see this 'magic' border. Still would argue for the arbitrarily-sized margin around the table-top area be removed if possible (maybe as an option?).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The size isn't arbitrary. It is the size that you set the page to, same way that making a new document in word, Photoshop, gimp, etc is done. I'd recommend not using a transparent background.

Edited 1566826137
admiralnlson
Sheet Author
I think you misunderstand what I am talking about here, Scott. The size of this wrapper cannot be altered whatever (total or grid) size you set the page to:

Edited 1566799031
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I think I see what you are referring to, although I don't understand the problem. If you don't want any border even when you pan to the extreme edges of your page, that's not possible; and I for one would not want such a "feature". The border provides a visual cue that you have reached the edge of the page and there isn't any more scrolling to do. It also provides a buffer from the scrollbars and other UI elements when working in areas of the page that are near the edge. For instance, doing fiddly dynamic lighting line creation at the edge of the map would be a nightmare if the scroll bar butted right up to the edge of the map, or if the layer/action control bar on the left couldn't be gotten out of the way of a section of map just selecting a token could become a serious challenge. However, if it's something that you'd like to see, I'd recommend posting a suggestion in the suggestion forum .

Edited 1566829682
admiralnlson
Sheet Author
Fair points you are making. Also, btw, I just realized that, while it does not in Firefox, a border actually does appear in Chrome: In retrospect, I think my actual frustration has more to do with the fact that, with the objective of aligning the contents (e.g. different levels of a dungeon?) from different pages, there is no way to do this accurately right now. This has then led me to try and align them using the top-left corner of the viewport as a reference, which then lead to this frustration with the wrapper. Therefore, I guess if I post a suggestion, it will be about adding a "right click → Advanced → Center", or better yet, as a parallel to the existing "Set Dimensions" widget, "right click → Advanced → Set Position" widget, which includes "center" as an option. which would solve my initial(/actual) problem. But then, that'd only be the first part of the story. Next step would be to make sure that scrollbars get re-positioned to the exact same location as the last time you quit the game, which does not always work. To be honest, I'm dreaming about a complete revamp of roll20's tabletop, which would get rid of the scrollbars altogether (e.g. move from the current old-school html setup to more modern html (maybe even webgl).
Can't rename this topic apparently. --- Consider this bug report cancelled .