Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

TORG Eternity Character Sheet - GM Matt

I'm trying to move a topic along which wasn't answered in the beginning; but, then, I wasn't all that interested in Torg Eternity when it was posted, as I have been hip-deep in my campaign for The One Ring.  Below is copied what GM Matt wrote into his post, but was way too early cut off and archived... Those who have played with the this sheet know that, while it stores all the essential information, it doesn't offer anything by way of automation. Right now, we are pretty much having to roll all of the right dice and cross-reference the bonus chart on our own. TORG involves a lot of mental math, all of which can be done when you are playing a live game, but its nice to get rid of a part of that load when you can. It helps everyone to focus on roleplaying a little more. Well...I'm pleased to announce that after a LOT of research and work, I now have some pretty decent automation working on the sheet, thanks to the power of roll templates. Best of all, none of this will require access to the API. No Powercards, no custom dice rollers. GM's still won't need the pro subscription to run the sheet (although, you really should get a pro subscription anyway - because Roll20 is awesome and deserves our support). Here is an example of how it will work: 1. Beside each attribute and skill on your Roll20 sheet, you will now get a d20-shaped button: 2. Click on the button and you will be asked about the difficulty for your check. Put in the number that the GM gives to you and... 3. Bam! Through the magic of roll templates, you'll see something that looks like this in chat: (This obviously shows three skill tests, not one; I just wanted to give you an idea about the variety of different kinds of output you will get.) 4. No promises here, but I am hoping to add a button to the bottom of each table that reads: "Possibility." Click on the button and the results of your roll will be updated to reflect the expenditure of a possibility and/or the use of a Hero/Drama card. My longer term plans, after I've explored the potential for a Possibility button, are: (1) Create a similar roll template for a weapon attack (2) Create a roll template for the use of powers (3) Create a series of character attributes and associated macros that modify and track statuses such as stymied, vulnerable, run penalties and wounds, as well as attributes for size. The purpose is to help the GM to calculate the difficulty of attacks, outputting the final difficulty to chat so that the player can quickly transfer it to his/her skill check. (4) In the super long-term, overhaul the sheet design so that it has an appearance that is more like the 5e SRD sheet (but still won't have near the functionality). So, a couple of questions for the community: (1) Do any/all of these features appear to be useful? Which ones are and aren't? (2) Would you rather I get the basic skill rolls going, and iterate a new version of the sheet before moving on to my wish list? Or would you rather wait a little longer and see attack and power templates in the next version as well?      So, you're likely busy iterating more of the new sheet you've done, which is already tremendous and I'm truly grateful for all of your hard work.  I don't know when I'll be beginning a game, but I have a bit more work to do, such as removing macro's and getting over the old information to embrace the new, but there are some small things missing or odd on the sheet.  First, would it be possible to change the font to something imminently more readable, such as Alois or Nyala?  They're both still somewhat fantastical fonts and not desktop standard.  Second, there are a few headers missing; I may not be able to do coding work, but I'm not half-bad with graphics, if you would like some help, there?      The Roll Results Buttons check box has no description for what it does, or if it's even necessary, anymore.      In answer to your first question: Everything you've built into the sheet, thus far, and everything you have planned, if you've not already done it, would be magnificent to have available.      For your second question: That's a tough one to answer.  I would love to see all the various types of perks, powers, spells, psionics, etc., able to be used, but would also love a character sheet with a background to it, one that makes it easier to read, because black on a white background is tough on the eyes, and it won't be much better the other way, hehe.      Would it be possible to allow GMs to choose whether they will use the Eternity way of dealing with damage (namely, Bonus Dice, which I think is a useless mechanic), or the RPPW way of doing damage (Action Bonus = Effect Bonus)?  I know about the glass-jawed Ninja problem, but it's really not a problem.  If a character has a really high defense and someone is able to penetrate that defense, a rare thing to happen I'm sure you would agree, then the target should take damage in accordance with the hit of the weapon.  That's what folks get for building up a high-defense: they're nigh-untouchable but fragile beneath that personal speed because they've worked on that defense for so long while neglecting their build.      The work you've done on this character sheet is nothing short of amazing and you have every right to be proud of it.  Bless you, laddy. :D
@GM Matt are you there?
Has anyone taken over the project for the Torg Character Record sheet?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although GM Matt is listed as an active player, it doesn't look like he has posted to the forum in nearly a year.
Thanks for letting me know, but he did send me a PM about a week or so ago, so I was hoping he might answer in the thread, here. Do you know how I could find out who might be continuing work on the Torg Character Sheet?  Right now, it's something of a mess; there are missing titles and what-not and I would love to know if anyone who is entirely more intelligent about designing these sheets is still working on it, or not, please?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Fieranor of Imladris said: Do you know how I could find out who might be continuing work on the Torg Character Sheet? Considering the sheet haven't been touched in 11 months, and this thread and this thread are the only other discussions made by other's than Matt, it's unlikely there is any development done by any others.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Fieranor of Imladris said: Thanks for letting me know, but he did send me a PM about a week or so ago, so I was hoping he might answer in the thread, here. Do you know how I could find out who might be continuing work on the Torg Character Sheet?  Right now, it's something of a mess; there are missing titles and what-not and I would love to know if anyone who is entirely more intelligent about designing these sheets is still working on it, or not, please? The github repository is the only record of who's done what apart from the threads Andreas linked.
@Andreas J. , that breaks my heart development hasn't continued. @keithcurtis , thank you.  I'll look into that.
I've not, unfortunately, the time to make the changes that need to be made, so I guess that's pretty much it, then.  I might be able to get images on there for headers, if I can make the time for it, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be hosting my own site.  It's been up for half my life, so it's become a part of me, so it's not likely to go down, soon, but...
Is there no one else out there with the skill and time to make this happen, to make the simple changes that need to be made?
I hate the idea of leaving this alone and truly do hope someone with some real programming skills will step up to get this character sheet into a more complete shape.  I wish the game were more important to more folks.  I'll check back every so often and attempt to bump this post but, for now, I have to get to other real-life things that take import over this, as much as I wish to have time to work on it.