Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hex map bug or feature??

So i recently exported a map thats 70dpi which is what Roll20 wants for the grid, (Or so it says in the map settings, in the guides it says 72) my map was 100x80 hexes big and i set the roll20 map to 100x80, I figured it would fit, right. It doesnt, why? Because after exporting the map in all kinds of resolutions, (The resolutions that Roll20 map setting said with the dpi it said) I just couldnt get it to align. And after a long time i wanted to try the aligning your map tutorial, so I wanted to check where the middle of the map where so could locate it.. and i found out Roll20 hadnt made my map 100x80, it had only made it 90x70, so its no wonder I for the life of me couldnt get it to align. Apparently Roll20 doesnt add the amount of Hexes the map setting says. When I upped the setting to 110x90, my 100x80 70 DPI map fit like a glove.. I have no idea if this is intended or just a mistake, but it would have been nice to know before spending two hours trying to align the map XD
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I use hex maps, but have exclusively been using gridless maps I have found, or ones that I made myself.  I am fairly certain that the normal advice for aligning grids is only for square grid maps.  Then, when you switch to a hex grid overlay, it is still figuring the map size based on the square grid count, just putting a hex overlay on top of the base square grid setup.  Probably oversizing the map, stretching to fit, and then resizing the map page to trim down your borders is probably the best procedure for hex grids.
I wanted to test out the grid alignment, and there is a guide for aligning hexes. I will be making a map in in a program where the hex grid is visible to get all the map features nice and alignted with a hex grid on here. I will be exporting it without the actual grid, but it would still be all wonky if i hadnt noticed that Roll20 doesnt actually set the maps hexes as it says in the setting. Also CC3+ has a style where you create hex maps and that map even without a grid showing would have been way off since everything you draw are added as Hexes =P So im guessing its a bug on Roll20s side, and they can now consider it reported. =)
See, setting says one thing, the actual map displays something completely different =)
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, the map page size is still based on the square grid.
Maybe this information should be added to one of the wikis i read then. Would have saved me alot of time and effort. =P